First Live Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I decided to get a live plant for my new 1 gal tank (I know it's small; but I was given it and don't have room for anything bigger D: ). So I went and got myself what I heard was really hardy and would forgive my likely frequent noob mistakes: a Java Fern.

So... Um... What do I do with it? It was kind of an impulse buy and I'm not exactly sure how to care for it.

Never buy anything living - plant or animal - on impulse. Always do research first. Java fern require low light and can not have their rhizomes buried, or they'll die. Fertilizers and CO2 benefit it, but aren't a requirement.

Again, I stand by my comment in your other thread about the minnows - a live plant won't do a thing for them because the tank is so small.

How low is low? And I didn't bury the rhizomes, so that should be OK. I don't have any fertilizers or fancy CO2 systems.

Java fern will do well tied to a piece of decor or driftwood, or tie it to stone and put it on the substrate and it will eventually start to spread. A 1 gallon tank is only suitable for maybe a betta, and in my opinion it is too small even for a betta. Maybe one mystery snail. Is there a filter and a heater on this tank? If you get a betta they need a heater to keep the tank around 80. I just bought two 25 watt heaters from amazon that will be used for my kids 5 gallon betta tanks. The 25 watt heater says that it is good for tanks 1-5.5 gallons.

^ Bettas won't survive long in a 1 gallon tank; they need at least 5 gallons or more to thrive

^ Bettas won't survive long in a 1 gallon tank; they need at least 5 gallons or more to thrive

Although I do agree with you that a 5 gallon is most suitable, I do not agree with making generalizations. probably about 8 years ago, Before I really knew much about aquaria I inhereted a betta from a friend who had it in a bowl for about a year. He lived almost an additional two years in that bowl in my room. Since the life expectancy of a betta is 2-3 years I thinkt hat is pretty good. Now even with as little knowledge as I had at the time, I changed his water a few times a week and fed sparingly. I am surprised he never jumped out to be honest. But he built bubble nests and flared when I put a mirror up for him.
My mother-in-law had one in a planted vase as well for about 2 and a half years before he passed away. He was also an active, flaring, bubblebuilding little guy, although to be fair the vase was probably about 2 gallons.

KatieJ said:

I also kept a betta alive for 3+ years in a small bowl a while ago. However i dont feel bowls or 1 gallons are suitable for any fish.

I would say that the difference between a 5 gallon and a 1 gallon is the same as the difference between living in a small apartment and living exclusively in the bathroom of a small apartment (in every possible way...).

I would say 2.5 is the minimum, with 5 being obviously better, but still leaps and bounds above 1.

My bad, I meant to say thrive instead of survive. I meant more mentally than physically - just because the fish lived for a year in a gallon bowl/vase/whatever doesn't mean it had a stress-free life.

My bad, I meant to say thrive instead of survive. I meant more mentally than physically - just because the fish lived for a year in a gallon bowl/vase/whatever doesn't mean it had a stress-free life.

In their natural habitat bettas actually breed when they are living in basically mudd puddles. And its not only the size so much as the quality of the water. A 5 gallon could be worse if you don't do water changes and keep it clean. In the vase set up, the roots absorb toxins and water changes are performed weekly, usually at 100%. Food is given sparingly on a daily basis. I would say that bubble nests and flaring are indications for health.

From the Internet :

"Bettas are one of the most recognized, most colorful, and often most controversial fish in the freshwater hobby. Debates rage about the appropriateness of keeping them in small bowls. To fully understand their needs it is important to become familiar with their native habitat.

Bettas originate in the shallow waters in Thailand (formerly called Siam, hence their name), Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and parts of China. They proliferate rice paddies, shallow ponds, and even slow moving streams. Although many fish keepers are aware that Bettas come from shallow waters, what is often overlooked is the water temperature.
The home countries of the Betta are tropical, which means the water temperature is quite warm, often into the 80's. Bettas thrive on heat, and will become increasingly listless when the water temperature falls below 75 degrees F. Water temperature is perhaps the biggest argument against keeping a betta in a tiny bowl (which cannot readily be heat controlled)."

Rice paddies are FLOODED fields part of the year. Shallow warm water with live plants is their usual home. Shallow is relative, a foot deep is still shallow. They only live in puddles when the water dries up and then they JUMP to another puddle if theirs gets too shallow or muddy.

"Rice Paddy Argument
The argument made for keeping a Betta in a vase is that pumps, filters, and other aquarium equipment, do not exist in nature. By putting the fish in what appears to be a natural environment the assumption is made that it is inherently healthier than an aquarium. That simply isn't the case.

It is true that in nature the Betta lives in shallow rice paddies and swamps. However, those waters represent a complete ecological system that a small vase cannot replicate. Those seemingly small rice paddies are actually part of a much larger body of water that dilutes toxins. Scavengers and bacteria present in the water break down wastes and render them harmless to fish living there."

Coursair said:
From the Internet :

"Bettas are one of the most recognized, most colorful, and often most controversial fish in the freshwater hobby. Debates rage about the appropriateness of keeping them in small bowls. To fully understand their needs it is important to become familiar with their native habitat.

Bettas originate in the shallow waters in Thailand (formerly called Siam, hence their name), Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and parts of China. They proliferate rice paddies, shallow ponds, and even slow moving streams. Although many fish keepers are aware that Bettas come from shallow waters, what is often overlooked is the water temperature.
The home countries of the Betta are tropical, which means the water temperature is quite warm, often into the 80's. Bettas thrive on heat, and will become increasingly listless when the water temperature falls below 75 degrees F. Water temperature is perhaps the biggest argument against keeping a betta in a tiny bowl (which cannot readily be heat controlled)."

Rice paddies are FLOODED fields part of the year. Shallow warm water with live plants is their usual home. Shallow is relative, a foot deep is still shallow. They only live in puddles when the water dries up and then they JUMP to another puddle if theirs gets too shallow or muddy.

One of my bettas from years ago JUMPed out of its tiny vase....right down the sink drain, killing itself. Mustve been too shallow

One of my bettas from years ago JUMPed out of its tiny vase....right down the sink drain, killing itself. Mustve been too shallow

I think we can all agree, that just because some have done ok in these conditions it is best to have a decent size tank, with a heater, filtration, and secure lid for a betta.

Back
Top Bottom