First plant ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunny004

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone please give me some advice as to what plant to use in my 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. I have never had any plants, and I'm unsure which variety or species to use. Any advice from someone who knows would be appreciated, thank you.

I have argentine swords, Anubias, water wisteria, floating hornwort, crypt, micro sword, java moss and lemon Bacopa.

Well, what kind of lighting do you have on your tank? That would be the deciding factor on what plants you can own.

And :welcome: to AA

I want to put the plants in my 55 gallon aquarium. I have fluorescent lights in that tank. Thanks for the welcome!

Good easy low light tolerant plants to start with are Water sprite or Wisteria, Swords, and crypts for planting in the substrate. Then Anubia, Java Fern (regular or Wendilov), and Bolbitus (African fern) for tying on DW or even rocks. You will need Root Tabs for plants planted in the substrate, especially swords and crypts. Then a liquid fertilizer for dosing the water for plants like the anubia, java ferns, and bolbitus which draw nutrients from the water column. Also using a liquid carbon such as Excel, Glutaraldehyde, or API CO2 Booster will help plants with photosynthesis and growth allowing them to better use nutrients from the water which helps the plants outcomplete algae for those nutrients.

Well, what kind of lighting do you have on your tank? That would be the deciding factor on what plants you can own.

And :welcome: to AA

I want to put the plants in my 55 gallon aquarium. I have fluorescent lights in that tank. Thanks for the welcome!

greetings!

it is the amount of light (be it florescent, LED or even PET) that counts, the easiest way to account for this is the type of light (T5, T8) and the wattage. the amount of light(and type of light) is almost always the main thing that limits what plants you can get.

this artical seems to have alot of reading about lighting.

Back
Top Bottom