first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packermaniac04

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New user here. This is my first time posting. Ive kept fish for a while but recently wanted to start a planted tank. I know almost nothing so any help would be appreciated. I plan on starting a ten gallon tank with two 15 watt cfl's. Im ok with it being very low tech. I would like to plant dwarf sag, java fern, and anacharis. Do i have enough light for these plants. Also can i just use sand as substrate or will i need something else? Do i need any ferts? This will be a shrimp tank if that matters. Thanks!

How new are your bulbs? Also do you know the par value of them? Do you want to run co2 on the tank or keep it low tech? And what kind of sand are you talking about like play sand, fluorite black sand?? I'll be more than happy to help I just need some more info from you.

2 CFLs over a 10g is an ample amount of light, in fact it might be too much, so just keep that in mind if you start having algae issues. Be sure to get bulbs that are full spectrum, which is usually daylight range (~6500k-ish). You can use whatever substrate you want, but you might want to consider dosing something basic like flourish comprehensive.

2 CFLs over a 10g is an ample amount of light, in fact it might be too much, so just keep that in mind if you start having algae issues. Be sure to get bulbs that are full spectrum, which is usually daylight range (~6500k-ish). You can use whatever substrate you want, but you might want to consider dosing something basic like flourish comprehensive.

+1

My 10 gallon has 2-14w cfl bulbs and is considered a 'High Lighting' aquarium. I am able to grow baby tears and glossos and many more...

At Home Depot you can get the ecosmart 14w Daylight which is only $8 for a 4pack. These are 5000k. Not the optimum color, but it works well.

0.3w - 0.4w/liter = low light

>0.7w/liter = high light

If you have two 14w bulbs on a 10 gallon that equals .73w/liter

The bulbs are brand new. I could drop to 2 10 watts if you guys think it would be better. I would like to keep it low tech without C02 but if my specific plants need it i can add it. Could I use just regular play sand and then add root tabs? If I do that will i still need flourish?

packermaniac04 said:
The bulbs are brand new. I could drop to 2 10 watts if you guys think it would be better. I would like to keep it low tech without C02 but if my specific plants need it i can add it. Could I use just regular play sand and then add root tabs? If I do that will i still need flourish?

As jeta mentioned that's enough light pretty bright actually. So if it leads to algae problems you can employ DIY/pressurized co2 but like you said you wanna keep things low tech at least add flourish excel or shade your lighting if problems arise. Or cut back your lighting if need be. As far as sand goes it's a matter of personal choice and budget. I've seen plants grow in play sand with root tabs but the results are mixed. Here's the way i look at it for a ten gallon I'd just spend the extra bit of money if you can and buy one of the many plant substrates out there(bunch to choose from). Because you'll only need 1 bag of most brands. You could also build your own substrate using unfertilized top soil, peat moss, gravel,sand,dirt,etc. But the list goes on for that, I'd (for sake of ease) just go with a substrate already bagged and ready to go.

Will one bag of flourite or eco complete be enough to fill the tank or should/can I mix another bag of regular gravel in there?

packermaniac04 said:
Will one bag of flourite or eco complete be enough to fill the tank or should/can I mix another bag of regular gravel in there?

One bag for a ten gallon gives you roughly a 2 inch deep substrate. And you can mix them if you want it's all about personal taste my friend, some people like the look of one substrate while others mix it up.

Are you buying it locally or online? There are better substrates available to those who are willing to spend more on shipping.

I don't have too many options for a lfs around here so ill probably just try and find something online. Any sites I should check out?

I think im going to go with eco complete black for the substrate. Has anyone had any problems with this stuff?

Back
Top Bottom