First planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've always wanted to try out a planted tank, I finally have. I would like suggestions on what else I should add. Currently I have three jungle vals.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After I trimmed them the other day

Attachments

• 1395762849929.jpg
    1395762849929.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 62
A Planted Tank

I've always wanted to try out a planted tank, I finally have. I would like suggestions on what else I should add. Currently I have three jungle vals.

Hello fish...

There are several aquarium plants that will grow even in subdued lighting. Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern, Mosses, like Singapore, Anacharis, Hornwort, Pennywort are some examples.

B

Thanks for your response B. I will have to research those plants, but there is two plant I've been looking at that I like. Im curious would. Dwarf sag or waterspirt work in my tank?

I think Watersprite will do ok. I have some in a tank that just has standard LED lighting.
My Watersprite does tend to brown/melt pretty often though. Not sure if that's normal or something I'm doing wrong. It grows fast enough that it basically replaces itself... I just have to keep up on the trimming and replanting.

I also have some smaller Sword variety in the same aquarium to does pretty well. You'll probably need root tabs for those though.

I was told to stay away from swords by the guy I bought the jungle val from. And is watersprite expensive? ?

From what ive found, its pretty cheap, as it spreads fairly quickly

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Swords are great plants. They just need root tabs. Some varieties grow very large. You should be able to grow dwarf sag just fine, but it may become less of a foreground plant and more of a background plant in low light (I grow some in a low light tank and some leaves are over a foot long, but when I had it under high light it stayed less than 5" tall).

Back
Top Bottom