First Planted Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darties

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, so I've looked around, and couldn't find a basic tutorial (basic enough at least) on how to properly set up a planted aquarium. Here is a list of basic questions I've got!

What do I need for the substrate?

What are some good, easy to maintain, beginner plants?

Do I need a Co2 pump for a planted tank with fish (probably 6 small fish)?

What temperature should a planted tank be kept at?

What kind of lighting should be used for a 10 gallon tank?

For a 10 gallon tank, what's it a good estimate budget?

Where's the best place to get hooked up with all the gear?

Thanks for all help in advance! And if you've got some good websites for tips, I'd love for the links!

For a 10g you might be able to get away with the liquid co2, but that works out to be more expensive long term.

To be able to answer your questions properly we need to start off with 2 questions and work forward from there.

What light level do you want to keep? Keep in mind the higher the light, the larger the learning curve and more maintenance.

How much are you willing to spend on equipment? This can range from $50 for a simple setup to around $1000 depending on how crazy you want to go.

Temperature - mid to high 70s is a good range
Beginner plants - Anubias, java moss, java fern, crypts, and bolbitis. All low light plants.

For a 10g you might be able to get away with the liquid co2, but that works out to be more expensive long term.

Liquid co2 is super super cheap, especially for a small tank. 1 gallon of metricide 14 is equivalent to 2 gallons of excel and costs about $25. Dosing at 1/2 ml per 10 gallons which is approximately equivalent to excels recommended level you have over a 7000 day supply. It's really not possible to get cheaper than that.

Big thing in planted tanks is high tech and low tech. Since you will be going with easy beginner plants I would suggest staying low tech. As high tech is going to overwhelm you so much more.

Mid to high 70s is good as suggested. Good easy plants to start with would be ferns, mosses, Asian ambulia, pennywort, guppy grass, dwarf sagittaria, jungle Val's, crypt wendtti, any floating plant you can find.

With the plants listed you can make some really gorgeous scapes.

The only downfall is with a small tank you are in a tight area and larger plants don't look very good at times.

Safe t sorb from tsc store is a great cheap substrate which I love. Or you can go with something like Eco complete or seachem flourite which is almost the same thing as safe t sorb but a lot more.

Some things you can buy used if you with but be careful.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and you don't need co2 or excel or metricide 14 to have a gorgeous low tech tank.

You should have a read of Diana walstads book on the planted tank. I am reading it myself after being in the hobby for only 3 months and its loaded with great info. Really detailed and a lot of hovbiest recommend it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the feedback guys! As for tech, I'll probably try and remain pretty low, but I'm willing to go higher if needed. And I for a beginner such as me, I probably going to try and keep it at around 100$. But that's always subject to change of course.

Getting Started

Hello Dart...

I keep easy, low maintenance and low tech tanks. Look for the dark green aquatic plants. They're easy. No special bottom material, just pea sized polished gravel from the pet store. No fertilizer, just what the fish produce. I'd get at least a 20 gallon tank, 30 would be better. It will definitely increase your chances for success.

B

Just to give you an idea of the cost, I have a low tech low light 20g long tank. Since it is a bigger tank, expect a lower cost for a 10g. Light fixture is a 30" dual T5 normal output from CoraLife ($35). EcoComplete 2x 20# at $9/ bag (it was a ridiculous sale). Finnex 25w or 50w titanium heater for $25. AquaClear 50 filter for around $38. Plants are Crypt wendtii red, Crypt undulata, java moss, flame moss, dwarf sag. Fertilization consists of adding root pellets (Aqua Fertz $10/75 pellets) monthly. Low bioload with shrimp and some snails. WCs 30-40% weekly with occasional vacuuming. Plant growth is slow but steady. The 3 crypt wendtii sent out runners over the last year and there are over a dozen now. This pic is rather dark but this is the setup:
Gx7odSr.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys! As for tech, I'll probably try and remain pretty low, but I'm willing to go higher if needed. And I for a beginner such as me, I probably going to try and keep it at around 100$. But that's always subject to change of course.

A great low tech tank can be done with simple supplies. A heater, 1 bulb t8 light fixture, HOB filter. You can add excel for carbon supplementation and flourish comprehensive for ferts if you want although it's not necessary.

Here is a low light list of plants that would work in that setup.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

Once again, thanks for all the feed back, you've all been very helpful! So now, I've compiled a list of things I'll be buying (hopefully) tomorrow at the local pet store

Flourite Premium Aquarium Plant Substrate

API CO2 Booster Freshwater Aquarium Plant Supplement

National Geographic™ Aquarium Heater

Top Fin Premium Quality Aquarium Gravel

I'm still a bit weary on what light to buy, I'm not sure if the light I'm using now is sufficient to house the plants I'm looking to buy, I'm using the standard light I got with the tank (which I believe was a 10gal Top Fin). If anyone could give me a bit more information on this matter, any would help!

I'll also have to suffice to the store plants that they have there (I'm well aware that they're in pretty bad shape, but I'm hoping they'll be a fresh shipment), as I've haven't really found an online store I'd like to but from. Once again, any help is appreciated!

I would suggest skipping petsmart and going online for your supplies. You can get better quality at a lower price.

Assuming you have a 10g tank I would go with:

100w version
Aquarium Heaters: Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater at Drs. Foster and Smith
These heaters are some of the best I've seen to date. By far my favorite brand.

Excel rather than the CO2 booster
Supplements for Healthy Planted Aquariums: Seachem Flourish Excel

I bought the flourite at one point and in all honesty, I hated it with a passion. It just looks ugly imho. A better purchase would be Eco complete in my opinion. It does the same thing but is straight black or straight red rather than the assortment of colors that the flourite gives. 20lb will be plenty for a 10g tank allowing you to completely skip the gravel.

Freshwater Planted Aquarium Care:Eco-Complete Plant Substrate

Okay, so I went to Petco (Luckily they carried most of what you recommended) and bought the goods. I've set it up, and planted all the plants, but in the process of dumping water, it kicked up a good bit of dirt, and now the water is murky. I'm a bit reluctant to put the fish in now, I don't want to kill them... so if there's a way to settle the dirt, please do share!

Regarding murky water, drain it all then fill very slowly or your water will look like chocolate milk again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Regarding murky water, drain it all then fill very slowly or your water will look like chocolate milk again.

A saucer or bowl (depending on what space is available) works for breaking up the flow of new water.
I held onto an old air pump hanger /shelf from decades ago and it works well for adding water during regular water changes.

Some people use misting spray hose nozzle, but yes, plate or bowl will allow you to fill up at maximum speed. :)

Back
Top Bottom