First planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Co2 in my opinion will never hurt a tank. The introduction of pressurised co2 is only a good think for plants. It actually helps to reduce algae.

Most algae problems are caused by lighting and fert issues

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sk3lly the do you know why co2 reduces algae? It is because it provokes the plants to suck up more nutrients which algae need IF there is enough lighting.

Sk3lly the do you know why co2 reduces algae? It is because it provokes the plants to suck up more nutrients which algae need IF there is enough lighting.

Thanks for the very very insightful lesson you just gave, i really feel ive learnt a lot. Thanks. I'll be sure to come to you when i need help growing my plants or if i get algae issues as I've clearly not grasped the concept

:popcorn:

OP - I can't tell how much sand Is in the tank...have you leveled it? Not sure what the recommended depth of PFS should be. Has the water cleared up yet? Filter running?

I ran an unused canister, and the water is super clear. I plan on doing some high mounds in the tank, so that's why there's so much sand. I'm working on a design for the aquascape. I'll post some pictures of the design when I finish.

Since sand shifts it may not stay where you want it. One thing you can try is cutting up a thin plastic cutting board into 2"x4" rectangles. These can then be positioned in the sand and will serve as retaining walls (they are buried so you cannot see them).

You will need to do as Fresh suggests. They are called substrate supports. Over time the water and gravity will cause high sand areas to collapse

You will need to do as Fresh suggests. They are called substrate supports. Over time the water and gravity will cause high sand areas to collapse

Geez sk3lly.. get it together man;)
Op- looking good from the start here.. if you're wanting multiple tiers or levels you can get some flexible plastic cutting boards at walmart and cut them up to use as barriers, you can than block the front with rocks, plants, or dw..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah. Just got plants in. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420938218.452641.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420938246.284393.jpg

So I'm just waiting for the DHG to grow in. I'm also going to add a little pebble trail through the middle of the clearing. And I'm going to plant the ones on the right better. Right now, they are a little loose and floating.

Ya! I upgraded my 10 G to a 46 bowfront, so I'm gonna use the old 10 to experiment with plants. Then once I get some experience I hope to plant my bowfront as well. That's if I don't kill every plant I buy lol

Ya! I upgraded my 10 G to a 46 bowfront, so I'm gonna use the old 10 to experiment with plants. Then once I get some experience I hope to plant my bowfront as well. That's if I don't kill every plant I buy lol

Haha. Yeah. I was worried if kill my plants too. It's not as hard as it seems. Co2 was scary, but by following the sticky on this forum, it was really easy. It's a very rewarding experience.

where is this sticky? I am setting up my first planted freshwater and would love to see it

Back
Top Bottom