First Planted Tank 36x24x12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TFAST550

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
36L x 24W x12D - I assume this is not the ideal planted tank size since it is so deep. (Am I wrong?)

That being said what lights would you go with? I would like to have a low tech planted tank do not want to mess with co2 if all possible. I have tried to understand PAR but I am frustrated and confused. I would like some suggestions.

Should I use LED or T5HO lights?

I am using this tank because its one I already have and at this time do not want to purchase a new one. I have always used plastic or fake plants and painted rock substrate. (I am growing out of this and looking for more realistic setup with plants and drift wood - going with eco-complete substrate)

I really want a planted tank to get to that next level and someday when money is more abundant move on to salt water reefs :)

Woohoo! Can't wait to see it! I am new to it, too. Hopefully one of the legends will stop by to help. I'm too new to offer any advice, but if it makes you feel any better, I don't get PAR either

Woohoo! Can't wait to see it! I am new to it, too. Hopefully one of the legends will stop by to help. I'm too new to offer any advice, but if it makes you feel any better, I don't get PAR either

Thanks :) I am excited! I am going to pull off the blue vinyl currently applied and paint the back of the tank black tomorrow. I find black substrate and black background really makes the plants and fish pop.. looks more natural too in my opinion.

:fish2: P.S. nice Blog I might have to make one too :)

Anyone know if either the Finnex Ray2 or the Planted+ 36"models will be sufficient?
For medium-low PAR?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not the best with lights. I'm following btw. Pm brookster, freshH2O or skelly they're some of the pros around here

OK I will see if I can reach out to them thanks!

Budget??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A light that will get me by I don't need the best in its class just a decent one to do the job

You'll need a decent rig for a 2' tall tank.. the current satelliteplus pro would be my vote..

You'll need a decent rig for a 2' tall tank.. the current satelliteplus pro would be my vote..

Thanks! Any idea what par level I'd be getting?

See for yourself! Its dimmable too

Attachments

• 1425335143646.jpg
    1425335143646.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 79
Call me a newb but does this mean 37 or 15 lol sorry not familiar with these charts

It's 44 centered and the other values are highlighted by inches off center as noted below.

It's 44 centered and the other values are highlighted by inches off center as noted below.

Thank you for the help and clarification! I am going to make this purchase tonight :)

Good choice. I have 2 finnex planted +s and I wish I had a dimmable fixture or timer. It's just turns off and on.....but it works too.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

one more question to throw at you guys - do i purchase the (24"-36") or the (36"-48")

since my tank is 36" i would assume both would work but the 36-48 might be better for long run and brighter?

that being said the (24"-36") is also 70+ cheaper!

Opinions?

Edit:

Going with the 36-48(going all out lol)

Last edited:
With all the cool stuff I hear from it, you won't regret it.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Light is awesome! Plastic plants till I can get some live ones but I think the tank looks great with that bright light!

Attachments

• 1425771641635.jpg
    1425771641635.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 88
Here is one more.. Can't wait to plant it!

Attachments

• 1425771841674.jpg
    1425771841674.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom