First planted tank - fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am just finished up the cycling on my first planted tank, it is a 20gallon tall. Should I be adding fertilizer yet? I don't have any fish in the tank; but getting close. Would appreciate any suggestions on this!

Attachments

• Picture 466.jpg
    Picture 466.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 176
What kind of lighting do you have on the tank?

Most likely, a robust fertilizing regimen is not going to be required at this point, but I agree with Jim, there might be some that will benefit your tank, depending on your lighting, and depending on what your future plans are for this tank.

Yes it is mondo grass, is that bad? My lighting is led so I tried to plant low light plants to see how they do. Selection is limited where I live.

+1 Mondo grass is a semi-aquatic plant that's often sold as fully aquatic. It'll last for a while, but it'll rot eventually.

Ok...so pull the mondo grass. You know, this learning curve is getting pretty darn expensive. :) Any suggestions for that corner? I may be forced to look at the little plastic tubes of plants at the large chain store, snail free selection is really limited.

Here's a link of non-aquatic plants: PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide I've come across anubias nana, amazon sword, and, I think, java fern in those little tubes. The rest of the tube plants are usually semi-aquatics that will die underwater.

You can get rid of snails with a 5% bleach dip or hydrogen peroxide. There's no need to stick to the snail-free stuff.

I like the look of the mondo grass in that corner. You could mimic it with italian vals.

That all I have to do to get rid of snails? I like the look of the vals, wonder if I can find any. I have seen myrio green around, would also like like to find a chain sword for tie front. Can I use fishing line to attach the java fern to the driftwood?

Fishing line, cotton thread, rubber bands, zip ties, super glue, they all work if you're careful

super glue? is that not toxic or is there and aquarium super glue that i dont no about. am new aswell.

Correct, don't use super glue, use aquarium safe silicone glue. Super glue WILL leach chemicals, I lost a 2gal because I superglued a silk plant to a rock, the next morning my betta was dead, had water tested and they found many chemicals that are found in super glue.

I've used super glue to attach most of my java ferns to driftwood. I either removed the driftwood from the tank or lowered the water level below the attachment point when I did a PWC. I use the glue sparingly and I prefer the gel over the liquid.

Back
Top Bottom