First Planted Tank - Need Opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How does it look?

• Too busy, remove some plants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Looks fine the way it is

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Lacks focus, Could use a bit of replanting/rescape

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

digitallinh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As the title states, this is my first go at a planted tank. Well, this is my first tank period. I started roughly 3 weeks ago, and everything is setup and seems to be thriving. Water parameters are in-line, pH is a bit high for what I'm going for (SE Asia, currently @ 7.5). It's a medium light / excel / dosing N-P fertilizer setup.

My questions really involve the aesthetic value of the aquascape.

1. Do you all think I have too many types of plants?

2. Is it aesthetically pleasing?

3. I made that slate structure in the back, does it detract from any sort of focus?

4. What can I do to improve?

5. Is it too busy?

I would like some hard criticism if possible here, thanks in advance!

Edit- I think I meant to put this in the "Aquascaping" forum, move if possible, thanks!

Attachments

• 071511.jpg
    071511.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 071511-2.jpg
    071511-2.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 427
Definitely not too many plants. It looks good IMO, but it would work better if you remove some of the stem plants that you have in the front and move them to the back. Keep in mind, these plants will grow quite tall, so it will be more aesthetically pleasing to have them to rear where they will not block the interior view of the tank. Leave the crypts? and grassy type plants to fill in the front.

I think it's fine .. and I'm sure you'll do your own rearranging with more experience and time. The stem plants that will grow should go to the back. Not sure what you have in the front ... but they can stay.

One thing you could do is move the center slate cave a bit to either side(if possible). In nature not everything is symmetrical having it off center may give it a more realistic look.

i like to sactter my plants,rather than group all of the same kind together,i think it looks mpre naturall that way,but i do like the stem plamts at the side. i agree with jcolon,that te cave would look better moved off center. good looking tank overall though

Thank you for your responses.

The "slate cave" actually extends across most of the tank, so in order to move the cave, I would need to move the plants blocking it.

My intention actually was to make the piece of driftwood/java fern and the rotala indica (reddish plant) I believe be the centerpiece, but it seems the "cave" detracts away from it. I can also simply block the entire thing off.

I mainly have that cavernous area for my kuhli loaches ;)

The angle in picture #1 is also the angle the tank would most commonly be viewed from, since the tank is in the corner of the room. This explains the stem plants along the right side. Moving plants to the back is not really an option since the entire back is covered by a my slate structure.

On my next water change (tomorrow) I'll move the indica a bit to the left where the bkyxa is and move that bkyxa on the right side of the cave with the other bkyxa, in essence moving the cave to the left and see how it works out

Thanks for the input!

I agree with moving the stems to the back, I would move those java ferns to the left as well. They look kind of stuck in the center.

Also those plants (outside of the grass) running along the front are

hygrophila pinnatifida

Apparently if trimmed correctly they exhibit a horizontal type growth.

Also, do you all think I should let the plants grow in a bit/settle before reshaping/replanting or is putting them in their final location earlier the better? Keep in mind I barely started the entire tank 3 weeks ago.

For me, I think the tank looks great as it is. The general idea of keeping taller plants to the rear is a common idea but it isn't a hard rule. It depends on the look you are going for. Most people tier their tanks. A more natural look will have the plants set more at random.

The final say is yours. We all have an opinion, but in the end the choice is yours. So far, I think it looks great.

:fish2:

1. Do you all think I have too many types of plants?
Not at all, the more the merrier :)

2. Is it aesthetically pleasing?
Yes it is, better than what I did have :)

3. I made that slate structure in the back, does it detract from any sort of focus?
Not at all in my opinion, I didn't even notice it at first (In a good way) :)

4. What can I do to improve?
Leave it the way it is IMHO :)

5. Is it too busy?
What are you meaning by that?

Thanks for the input everyone, I did a minor rescape a few days after I posted this and am just waiting for everything to settle in before I trim/replant to thicken everything. Here is a picture! I guess it doesn't look all too different ;)

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 156
digitallinh said:
Thanks for the input everyone, I did a minor rescape a few days after I posted this and am just waiting for everything to settle in before I trim/replant to thicken everything. Here is a picture! I guess it doesn't look all too different ;)

Even the smallest change can make the biggest difference...
Looks great! Very nice job, you definitely have an eye for it!!

IMO i think it needs some tall plant at the left back, maybe a ambulia or Comboma, also i think there needs to be a a higher rock to make it not look as symetrical. But other than that it looks great!

IMO i think it needs some tall plant at the left back, maybe a ambulia or Comboma, also i think there needs to be a a higher rock to make it not look as symetrical. But other than that it looks great!

I have an oriental sword (which wont grow tall for some reason) and one stem of wisteria (hygro difformis) growing back there. I plan to snip the wisteria once it gets bigger and fill that area.

I am really worried about exactly how and when to trim/replant.

Any insights/links into what specific techniques people use to achieve certain looks -- bushy/tall/treelike. I've never really grown anything before so I'm essentially lost as of now. Are the techniques different for each specific plant?

Also, should I get more plants or just propagate the ones I have? I want to achieve the dense thick look all around with an opening area in the middle shining down into the hair grass. How long does it take people to grow those dense aquascapes I see on the boards anyway?

Also, any suggestions for broad leafed plants that come from the Thailand/India region?

Thanks again, these forums have been a ton of help for the first time fish keeper! There's a ton of information, no wonder I failed 15 years ago ;).

Back
Top Bottom