First Plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyerushalmi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just put my first live plants in the my tank! Three Amazon sword bunches I bought at the Greater Chicago Cichlid Association Fish Swap for $6. Any suggestions on how to keep them alive?

Last edited:
They will like root tabs and also if you can get some seachem flourish and also excel. Dose to recommended and you should be fine. I'd say you could even go 1 dose every few days unless you plan on getting more plants

Try and keep a nitrate level around 10-20ppm :)

Thanks for the advice. Really enjoying them so far. Enjoy the authenticity it brings to the tank.

Thanks for the advice. Really enjoying them so far. Enjoy the authenticity it brings to the tank.

Haha yep! Once you get your first plant you can't stop. You'll be setting up a full planted tank in no time ;)

Think they are fine in gravel?

Yea wouldn't worry too much. The roots will spread through it just fine. Swords are a pretty easy plant to grow. Don't really need any special treatment. Just abit of ferts here and there and they should be fine

Yea wouldn't worry too much. The roots will spread through it just fine. Swords are a pretty easy plant to grow. Don't really need any special treatment. Just abit of ferts here and there and they should be fine
Thanks for the help.

The transition part of the plant, between the roots and the leafs. If you look top down on the plant the leafs come from this one central spot. If you the center is covered by gravel the leafs cannot poke through to grow.

Back
Top Bottom