First time aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys,
Thanks for the compliments! No, I didn't use an image editor. Brutus, the one you posted looks a lot better.. not as bright.

I will have to take an updated pic sometime this weekend.. I was able to plant one of my dward amazon sword's babies.. and there are many more coming. I also got a couple of new fish. An albino pineapple swordtail and a dual banded swordtail (I had never heard of it before but it's a lighter orange with a black stripe on top and on the bottom of its caudal fin).

Here is an updated pic. Notice my Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia'' in the back left corner only has the top leaves left. I read on this site: Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia'' that the lower leaves will fall off in lower light. I have 2.2 WPG so I guess that makes sense... ?

My baby tears got a little less bushy too, I need to go out and buy some more foreground plants.

But otherwise, I have a lot of new growth on the other plants.

img_969444_0_fdbec4959a0c743056810e30087976bf.jpg

You might want to try Rotala Rotundifolia. It doesn't require as much light and is a great background stem plant.

Ludwigia repens (called broad leaf ludwigia) or Repens x Arcuata (called narrow leaf Ludwigia) are also easy growers, and they'll show a lot of color on the undersides of leaves even in moderate lighting. Just stay away from Arcuata (called needle leaf ludwigia), as that one is a light demanding species.

You'll know them - repens has round leaves, arcuata/repens has 1/2" wide long narrow leaves, and pure Arcuata looks like red pine needles coming off the stem, very very thin.

looks good for your 1st time, try to get some filter floss *(walmart batting for quilts like a baby blanket ) :)

yeah [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica][FONT=arial, helvetica] filter floss and wadding are time-honored mechanical filter media. The irregular pores and gaps created by wadded up filter floss will trap most of the particles and debris pumped through your filter, cleaning your water and protecting chemical and biological media from becoming quickly clogged. As a plus, you can cut your floss and wadding to any amount and stuff it into any size or type of space, depending on your aquarium setup.[/FONT][/FONT]

i think that there is something up with your Alternanthera reineckii. i have a little less than 2 watts per gallon and have had to trim it twice. the bottom of the plant has a light green top to the leaves with a darker red bottom. the leaves at the top are a much brighter pinkish red.

really? what the heck.. I wonder what's going on then. I have had to prune my Dwarf Amazon sword of browning leaves (they were older leaves on the outside of the plant though so I'm not sure if that is normal?) and some of its runner babies have holes in the leaves. Hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom