First time planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1HellerofaGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon long. I want to try my hand at a live planted aquarium. Would anyone recommend some beginner plants and lighting options. Also any tips would be very welcome.

A nice looking and easy plant in my opinion is red flame swords. I ordered mine from aquariumplants.club for a decent price and low shipping. Just be sure that what you decide to buy will work with you're water. Also it's important to provide proper nutrients. I prefer aquarium co-op's easy green to provide the essentials. Just be careful to avoid over fertilizing and causing an algae bloom.

First time having an aquarium and I ordered java fern, amazon sword, and ludwigia repens. from amazon.com. They are are growing pretty good at least I think so anyway. I have had the tank setup for a couple weeks and am seeing new shoots already. For the light I am only using the LED one that came in the 29 gallon aqueon kit I got.

I did put a bag of this stuff in there mixed with some gravel. https://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-Complete-20-Pound-Planted-Aquarium/dp/B0002DH0QM

https://goo.gl/photos/t3A1n89Wsg5NyGhDA

Check out Beamswork DA Pent Led on Amazon. I got a 36" for under $50. It is a good light for "Medium Light". For $200 you can get a light and a CO² system. I would do a lot of research before I started using a pressurized CO² system but the results from CO² are amazing. If that is what you are going for. Also get ready for a lot of trimming and pruning...Lol

Can anyone recommend where to do my research for co2?

This site has a lot of good info. Just search setting up CO² or new to CO². Also if you're anything like me and would rather watch a video YouTube has a bunch of helpful videos on how to buy, set up, and how to safely use CO².

I have a 55 gallon long. I want to try my hand at a live planted aquarium. Would anyone recommend some beginner plants and lighting options. Also any tips would be very welcome.
When I started out I got a paintball co2 setup from amazon which can be filled at the sporting goods store. I ran it at 5 bubbles / second on a $6 timer respective to the light on a timer, 8 hrs / day. I got the Nilocg micros / macros simple fertilizer pack that what easy to dose by just pumping one squirt per day. I got 2 bags eco complete and easy plants from big box store to learn on - anachris, repens, crypts. For light I grabbed a Chinese black box 165w (galaxy hydro, marzaqua, etc) led on amazon fire sale for $80 (usually 90-100). I found the 48" models of finnex, and others to be similarly priced. I planted half the 55gal and started learning.

This is just a quick summary of simple setup that I used to start out on. I relied on forum support at a planted forum. Most info readily available by forum search, and i only posted when confused. Since then things got CrAzY. Good crazy. As others have stated BALANCE so very important to learn.

...and also a rhino drop checker... BUT remember equipment and plants don't get you a planted tank, RESEARCH and HUSBANDRY get you a planted tank. Otherwise you'll likely end up with a glorified turf scrubber.

Barr report also has tons of good information.

My tactic for plants in my less-planned tank is to go to Petco when they aren't busy, find any plants that you wouldn't pay full price for, take them up to the register (important step) and ask to have them for cheap or free.

My other tank, however, has very fancy and expensive plants.

I agree that CO2 should come before high light. Liquid glutamate is also good for keeping algae at bay-- but not enough on its own. Plus, yeah, you're probably not at a $200 light point. Neither am I. I got two nice lights for $130.

Agreed...just dropped $130 on my Finnex 48" 24/7 planted+ last month, knowing ( from research I could turn intensity down) I could slowly add better ferts and co2, I did it backwards, but didn't know what ferts and co2 I wanted yet....but research paid off.
24/7 on full 24/7 mode and no algae (75 gallon tank is tall, probably saved me), now getting ferts and co2... crossing my fingers!

I'd advise getting at least an Aquatek regulator. Within 2-3 months the aquatek will pay for itself versus buying those mini refill tanks. I'm using the Aquatek mini and I have 2) 20oz paintball bottles so I have one to swap out once empty.

I know that Fluval kit/model will work with the paintball bottles but it doesn't have the solenoid valve and I'd say that's a must. $20 difference and I'd say it worth it. That's not a bad light but before spending money on one yet I'd establish which plants you want.

I'm considering these.
The pros of the cartridge kit are that it is a complete set to get you started and you can get 2 cartridges for like 12 bucks. Also, down the road you can get the "Hydra Aquatic CO2 Paintball Adapter" which will allow you to use the much larger (24oz+) paintball tanks that you can refill at sporting good store.
https://www.amazon.com/Umarex-22525...e=UTF8&qid=1491347828&sr=8-1&keywords=88g+co2

https://www.amazon.com/Hydra-Aquati...rd_wg=WjAHY&psc=1&refRID=21MJB4WY4S8B8T50B6G9

The downside is that there is no solenoid. Having a solenoid attached to or integrated with the regulator allows you to turn off the flow of co2 with a timer. When your light is off at night you do not need co2. If you run this 24hr/day on a 55 gal you may run through co2 cartridges pretty quick. Also, when co2 tanks run empty they put out more flow than usual and so you end up tinkering with the flowrate a bit, and the flow valve on this type of regulator is touchy.

I was just looking for an all in one kit for you, but it's not easy to keep the price down. Here is a $90 regulator with solenoid which includes a bubble counter (you use this to see how much co2 is flowing), but you will need to add the co2 tank ($20) and a diffuser ($6). So here you are in it for $116, $46 more than the one you're looking at but it may be more reasonable in the long term.

https://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-OF-C...&qid=1491348928&sr=8-15&keywords=aquarium+co2

https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Paint...qid=1491348439&sr=8-1&keywords=paintball+tank

https://www.amazon.com/Yagote-Nano-...8928&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=aquarium+co2&psc=1

You may be okay keeping a low flow (1-2 bubbles per second) with cartridge kit when used with liquid co2 in a low medium light situation, I think another poster said the finnex is dimmable.

This has just been my experience for entry level co2 options, and these are just some ideas for your consideration. I'm sure others will chime in with some other useful ideas.

I hear good things about the finnex light and it'll mount easily to your 55 unlike the light I started with.

Consider researching substrate such as EcoComplete and fertilizing plans such as EI dosing. Barr Report, Planted Tank, Uk plant society, all good sources for reference. You may be interested in learning how to calculate your co2 levels based on alkalinity (kH) and with a drop checker. ...test kits are useful.
co2chart.jpg

Keep in mind plenty of ppl successfully keep plants with low light and only liquid co2 (ex: flourish excel) so you don't HAVE to invest so much to get into plants if you don't want to.

Back
Top Bottom