First-Time Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbles10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10gal tank and it has been established for quite some time now. I added an anubias plant (attached to a piece of driftwood) and a java fern (attached to a rock) last week. When I bought the plants, they were nice and green and very healthy looking. However, over the past week the leaves are getting speckled with brown dots. I am using Seachem's Flourish fertilizer and I have a fluorescent bulb that stays on for about 9 hours a day. This is my first time with real plants so is this spotting typical for a plant when it is placed in a new aquarium or is there something I am doing wrong?

If your tank has a stock bulb, it'd wager it's next to useless for maintaining plants. Do you know the wattage and lumens of the bulb? That would help us figure out your issue.

It's not the stock bulb.. I forget the kind of bulb that came with the tank but I replaced it with what I'm assuming is a 17W (the hood has a sticker on the back that says to use 17W bulbs) fluorescent bulb so that it would be more of a white looking light rather than the yellowish tint that the old bulb gave off.

Any fluorescent bulb in a 10g hood will be more than enough for anubias and other low lights. It's well into medium light, especially if they are 10/13w bulbs. 17w might be pushing it even....

But yea, picks of the leaf might be nice. Sounds kinda like potassium shortage.

Back
Top Bottom