Fish eating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my plants seem like they are getting devoured.. and I know I have a pond snail or two, but there is a lot of damage, Like leaves missing and getting chewed off at the stem, I do see some holes on some which i think is the pond snails, but I dunno. I see the fish nipping at the plants here and there.

Fish I had

3x gourami
10x tetra
5x platy
5x guppies
2x ghost shrimp
MTS (cant count maybe ~30).

My thoughts would be maybe I am not feeding the fish enough or not enough for the MTS and they are going after my plants..

Any ideas? Has this ever happened to you?

im not sure about the others, but i know when i had platys, they would nibble on the plants. are you sure its fish eating them and not the plant health? ime, pond snails never ate any of my plants, just looked bad all over the glass

None of those fish stick out to me as plant eaters....it could happen though.

How much light, what size tank and what plants? I also wonder if it might be a health issue. Sometimes lack of light can cause the plants to kinda wither away...so can lack of some nutrients.

To be honest I do not know what all the plants are. I am currently dosing with Leaf Zone, which has..3% soluble potash (K20) and .1% iron, also dosing with Wiess Natural Aquarium Vital, which is a CO2 supplement i think, it has vita a, d3, e. Trace minerals are calcium, phosphorus, NaCl, Potassium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, cobalt, copper, manganese, iodine, selenium, zinc, fluorine.

Still in the first 30 day cycle of using it where I have to put in one teaspoon per 25g, so about 1.75 teaspoon for my 45g tank. Some of plants you can see below.. I know the I have some water sprite, and java fern others i can not tell. I will upload pictures.

25368_362006116287_586326287_4272595_4820906_n.jpg

25368_362006146287_586326287_4272596_8376193_n.jpg

That tank looks awfully dark, even for low-light plants. Low light can cause the issues you've seen.

Mollies, platies, swordtails, and guppies all like to eat their vegetables. My swordtails stripped my myrio of its needles. My guppies leave the plants in their tank alone, but they nibble on algae and they love algae tablets.

What kind of light do you have? If you have an incandescent fixture, buy those spiral CFLs. It's a cheap way to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom