fish for planted 10G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all my question is this: I have just formed my baby, my 10G tank fully set up with lights, CO2, laterite, filters, etc and also have the plants set in. Its awesome.. the plants themselves are bubbling! But thats besides the point.
Oddly enough I just like my tank the way it is, but my fiance says it needs SOMETHING in it. I was wondering what fish would be good for a 10 gallon. More specifically what fish won't eat my plants, dig them up, or just mess around with them in general? I am thinking of tetras, but want to wisk away from the regular neon ones, though I was thinking of getting them in the first place. Thanks!

I'd get some neons. They're fun. Take your pick, but in a 10 gallon I wouldn't get more than 10. Less if they're kinda big (for a neon). But they're really neat in schools. I saw some sweet neons that were like the blue and red, but they were orange and black. There are so many kinds of neons...go to an LFS with a lot of variety and just watch them for a while. But yeah, I'd go with neons.

-j

An algae eating Otinioculus would be good, you do need somebody to munch the algae!

There are many varieties of tetras out there, almost all bigger than neons, and they won't do any harm to the plants, some have color, some don't. I have some lemon tetras i really like, but they are in my 90. when i had them in my 20, they picked on each other. Dont know if this is typicall or not.

Another option I like is white cloud mountain minnows, pretty little guys, and Cherry Barbs. (no other kind of barbs! cherries are the smallest barbs, all others will either be aggro to other fish, or chew on plants).

If these choices don't appeal to you, do some research and find things that stay small, and are peacefull to each other and plants.

We have fancy guppies in our planted 10g. Its actually our baby tank, but the parents haven't had babies in a while so the "babies" are almost full grown. Guppies stay small and, in my experience, don't eat the plants. They are fun and reproduce like crazy so you won't need to go buy more fish.

I think i have some pictures of the planted with the guppies in my gallery, that way you can see how they would look.

-Dan

hey who has Otos? do the LFSs have them, I don't think petsmart has them. tahnks all. I decided definately to get the an oto. I love my plants and an aquatic gardener is exactly what they need. Once the oto does well its tetra time! :twisted: How man otos should I get for a 10 gallon decently planted tank? thanks again!

alrighty I got some Otos (3 of them) they seem to like the tank :D (hope they do!) Just need the plants to super grow and the such. I also bought some disc food for them... and if they do alright I'll get the neons... anyone have any suggestion how many for a 10 gallon tank? thanks again all! :mrgreen:

Hey, it's just me again.

I answered your last post, hopefully I was helpful...sorry to hear about your oto :cry:. They're cute buggers but fragile. I lost one out of four. I have cardinal tetras in my 29 gallon, they are, IMO, much more pretty than neons. They do get slightly bigger, so a school of five or six would be nice.

I would recommend cardinals as well for their beauty, they light up my tank :wink:

They get to 5cm or 2inches
Tank temp 22-25deg cel (72-77deg f)

Louise :D

awesome thanks everyone! Thus far the other two otos are doing fine, I think they are getting enough food naturally because they ahven't touched the algae wafer I put in there. The cardinal tetras sound good shawmutt, either that or the neons, but the cardinals sound hardier and more people are suggesting them for their beauty so looks like that is the best choice :D thanks again everyone!

BTW... IMHO I would make sure to remove the uneaten algae wafer. I don't think it's good to leave any uneaten food in the tank :wink:

You'll love your cardinals....also, they will love you to death if you feed them brine shrimp :p
Louise

Back
Top Bottom