Fishless Cycling With Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iLykeLions

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. ;) I was just wondering if I can add plants to my tank while it's still cycling? Would this help speed up the process at all? Would it be good for the plants? Thanks!

iLykeLions said:
Hey everyone. ;) I was just wondering if I can add plants to my tank while it's still cycling? Would this help speed up the process at all? Would it be good for the plants? Thanks!

You can, but I wouldn't add it until the nitrate spike. Otherwise it'll stall your cycle.

I disagree that it will stall a cycle. I heavily plant all my tanks before starting a cycle. Plants love ammonia! It is liquid gold for them, so long as it isn't dosed at too high of a level.

In fact, there is a whole method of cycling a tank called a "silent cycle". It is a quicker method than regular fishless cycling. I use a combination of a silent cycle and a "normal" fishless cycle when starting a tank. If you google silent cycle, you can find out all about it.

Back
Top Bottom