Fishless cycling with plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I finally have my tank set up with water in it and am starting my fishless cycle. I have a 40 gal bowfront with a fluvial 205 canister, 200 watt heater and two T5HO bulbs, the are in the hood that came with it and are only an inch or two from the water and have reflectors behind them, I think they may be 6700k but I can't say for sure. 60 lbs of s fluorite black sand.

I just went to my lfs and picked up some plants, they didn't have much to choose from and knew nothing about them. Can you please identify these plants for me? I will attach pictures. What are the light requirements for these plants?

I have some seachem flourish, should I dose the tank with this during the fishless cycle?

How long should I leave my lights on each day during the fishless cycle to avoid algae?

I am not happy with the look of the tank yet and would also appreciate any constructive criticism, I would like to get a nice piece of driftwood but the lfs only had ugly pieces. Also I hope to find a better variety of plants for the for and background, I am hoping to find a seller on here that ships to Canada.

image-1534513754.jpg

image-3800563695.jpg

image-287376200.jpg

Hello Dwane!
I might be wrong but I think that the filter you have is rated for up to 40 gallon tanks and the tank you have is a 40 gallon (Imperial) which is about 46- 48 US gallons. On the other hand I would keep my lights on for only 6 Hrs, and the plants look like Ludwigia.

Xand3r said:
Hello Dwane!
I might be wrong but I think that the filter you have is rated for up to 40 gallon tanks and the tank you have is a 40 gallon (Imperial) which is about 46- 48 US gallons. On the other hand I would keep my lights on for only 6 Hrs, and the plants look like Ludwigia.

My user manual says the capacity is 151 liters which should be 40 gallons although the aquarium name is the fluvial Vicenza 180L so this is quite misleading.

My user manual says the capacity is 151 liters which should be 40 gallons although the aquarium name is the fluvial Vicenza 180L so this is quite misleading.

You tank is actually a 40 gallon, the only reason why I thought different is because it looks wider, Sorry!

bruinsbro1997 said:
You can have plants during a cycle, they'll take in some of the ammonia.

The second plant in the first pic looks like a ludwiga, what species I'm not sure. Perhaps ludwiga respens?

Are you talking about a silent cycle when you mean a fishless cycle?
Silent Cycling in a Planted Aquarium - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Yes I guess it would be a silent cycle I am referring to, I am going to add ammonia to my tank and follow the steps in a guide I was shown on here, the almost complete guide to fishless cycling I think is the name of it.

Does anyone know if I should be adding my seachem flourish during the cycle? Or is there anything else I will need to add?

I just noticed 2 snails that must have hitchhiked in on my new plants.

Back
Top Bottom