Floating Plant downsides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snuffleupagus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added a (plastic) floating plant to try to give my clown loaches some shade so they'll be less timid when the light's on. I didn't especially like the way it looked at first, but I think I may be able to get used to it, especially if the loaches are in favor.

I was wondering what negative aspects there are to floating plants, that some of you more experienced folk might have encountered. Specifically, I worry that my Zebra Danios won't care for it, because they normally like to zoom around near the top of the water. I am also concerned by how well the fish will detect food I drop in when there's a big ole' plant covering much of the surface. I've got Tiger Barbs in there too, but they normally don't like going to near the surface anyway, except occasionally to dart up turbo speed to snag a morsel and zoom back.

only problem i've found with floating plants (live ones at that) is anchoring them to the spot i want them to be. because of a strong outflow from my canister, they always settle in the corners (recirculation zones).
but i think this won't be a problem if you have enough plants to cover a sizeable area. but i've had no problems with feeding.

I've had lots of floating water sprite and I've never had a problem. Baby fish love the stuff, hiding up in the roots of the plants. The other fish have no problem plucking food from between the leaves. If you have a planted aquarium, you just have to make sure you're not providing too much shade.

Back
Top Bottom