Floating plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking of a floating plant for my tank. I don't want it to get very big, about 1-3inches in diameter, and it needs to be lowlight and I don't supplement with carbon dioxide. Any ideas?

Duckweed is pretty easy to take care of, but many people view it as a pest. There is also Amazon Frogbit, which isn't that big either. Both are very hardy and attractive.

Frogbit needs more than low light, duckweed will grow under any light. Hornwort and Najas aka guppy grass will also grow under low light IME. If you prefer a surface floater that grows quickly bit is easier to manage than duckweed there are several species of Salvinia, those grow in chains rather than as hundreds of tiny individual plants. What sort of filtration are you running?

I had too high water flow for duckweed and frogbit I think. Although the fish were cleaning it off as well. Fish 1, another plant 0...

Pennywort doesn't need much light and can grow rooted or floating. If you plant it in the substrate, it will grow to the surface and have floating leaves like little lily pads. It even grows a few leaves above the water line.

Being rooted also means it doesn't get messed up by the filter outflow.

Floating watersprite is a nice floating plant, it is in my current tank and it is under low light and it is still growing! :)

Back
Top Bottom