Floodlight as a light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myselfandme2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have heard that some people are using a floodlight as a planted aquarium light. Would a 15 watt floodlight work for a 1 foot deep aquarium? It is 6000k. It would need to grow plants.

I have heard that some people are using a floodlight as a planted aquarium light. Would a 15 watt floodlight work for a 1 foot deep aquarium? It is 6000k. It would need to grow plants.

Should work fine for low-medium light plants I'd imagine. [emoji106]

The only concern I could think of is heat output. Some flood lights produce a lot of heat, assuming it is an incandescent bulb.
Are your referring to an LED or CFL bulb? 15 watts for an incandescent bulb is not a lot of light. You would get much more light with and LED or CFL bulb.
Yes, you should be able to grow plants. I've seen carpet plants grow under a single 23 watt CFL in a CO2 injected tank.

It's most likely LED, which would be fairly good for medium light I'd imagine, if not high light. I considered this myself too, but I didn't have a canopy or method to put them up in a way that I figured would look good. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom