FloraMax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsbetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I searched through the forums to look for a thread that would answer my question, but I didn't find any. So I'm wondering what the general consensus is for FloraMax substrate for planted tanks...I'm afraid it's not a good one, but I'm still curious! :) I'm starting a low-tech low-light planted tank and my Petsmart only had FloraMax and Flourite...I went ahead and bought FloraMax because I didn't want to deal with water cloudiness from the Flourite. My first choice was Eco Complete, but they didn't have it. Anyway, there ya go! Thanks in advance for the answers. :)

By that, I'll assume that it's junk for all you high-tech aquarists, but for my low-tech purposes it should be fine. :)

I also got a couple bags of small-grain black gravel to mix in with the FloraMax, would that help with getting the plants rooted down?

It might might but if they are smaller than the floramax the gravel will all sink to the bottom or vice versa

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ah, I figured that would be the case! Oh well, I'll figure it out. :) Thanks a bunch for the help!

Once the plants get established things shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay great! I have a few already, when I see how they do then I'll know which ones do get more of!

I've used floramax (FM) for years, and it's fine. Definitely better than gravel and sand for a planted tank substrate. It's essentially the exact same stuff as Eco Complete (EC), which is a more popular version and made by the same company, only differences are:

-EC comes with a liquid in the bag that's supposedly beneficial bacteria. FM is just dry, so no liquid weight if you're comparing price to weight ratios.

-Due to the liquid in the bag, EC does not require a pre-rinse.

-FM needs a major pre-rinse and after you flood the tank, you'll need to use the included bio-magnet packet to help clarify the water from the particulates that will cloud the water for a couple days. This will settle and subside, not a big deal.

So, IMO, when comparing EC vs. FM, I'd get either -- just which ever is cheaper. Both are semi-inert at first, so I used flourish tabs when I initially setup my planted tank with it.

Okay, great! That was exactly what I needed to know, very helpful, thanks so much for the reply! :)

Back
Top Bottom