Flourescent tubes for fish and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yeldarb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think this is the right place for this question. I have a standard 24" 2-tube shoplight style of fluorescent fixture in my homemade aquarium canopy. The tank will be moderately/heavily planted and contain fish. Can anyone suggest what combination of T12 tubes would best promote plant growth and show off the colours of the fish to their max? The local Home Depot sells Philips. I thought I would use 1 "Natural Sunshine" (92 CRI, 5000K) and 1 "Growlight"or "Plant and Aquarium" (specs unknown). Thanks.

I use Philips tl-lighting for my tanks. Colour code 83. They are great for growing plants, but the light is yellow, not white, so it may be that you don't like the look of it.

How big is your tank? Important thing for selecting your plants is knowing your Wattage per gallon. If you could post that here it would be helpfull for other people to comment on this post.

The tank is 21 US gal. With 2 20 watt tubes, that brings it close to the 2 watt per gallon level.

For my "show" tanks, I like Tritons---they are expensive, but the color is great. For my holding tanks, I use Sylvania Daylight and Philips "Alto" Daylight Bulbs (these can be found in lighting stores and Home Depot). They are a bit yellow, but are inexpensive and give good growth.

Back
Top Bottom