Flourite and HOB filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think?

• I use a HOB with no issues at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have used HOB filter and had nothing but problems.

• Canister filter is truly the only way to go.

• Total voters

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if I am the only planted newb out here using HOB filtration. I noticed that the discharge stream of my filter is disturbing the bed of flourite and causing it to cloud up my aquarium, and consequently my filter's impeller. Do I need to change to a canister or should I just get a smaller HOB? Anywho, it would be great to get everyone's ideas/feedback! Thanks in advance!

Best,
Joe

If your inclined, you can just put a rock or piece of driftwood where the water falls back into the tank.

What size tank? I perfer a canister on anything over 10g myself. :p

20 gallon tank with an aquaclear 110 on it. I know the filter is big time over kill but is has worked great for me in the past on my 29 gallon... And yes I know the balas will get huge so and so forth ;-)

Best,
Joe

Well I'd go with a piece of hardscape then. Either that or DIY fan on the output. Like a piece of acrylic to spread the flow out along the surface instead of just dumping it in.

I have a peice of drift wood that I want to put in the tank but I just can't seem to get it treated. I've boiled it for at least a total of 20 hours and it still gives off this slime like stuff when I put it in the tank and it sits for a couple of days. Now it's out in the back yard sitting on the bbq frozen inside the pot I was using... I'm in northern Alberta so I might have to wait a while to get it back :p In any event, I think I might just switch to a smaller HOB for now. Seeing as the tank is planted I shouldn't have a problem keeping all of my readings in wack.

Happy holidays!
Joe

I prefer a canister, but they are really only worth it on larger tanks. HOBs are great for smaller tanks but I wouldn't use one on a 55+ gallon. For your 20 gallon I would stick with the HOB filter.

If you are looking for a new HOB, Rena has just started their new line which have a really nice design, but do cost quite a bit. Other than that you have penguin, aquaclear and all the knockoffs of those two. I prefer the penguin on really small tanks (5 gallon) where biological filtration can be easily disturbed.

Back
Top Bottom