flow and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reign

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a c2 on my 10 gallon planted tank, it seems like it should have enough flow but algae grows in various locations, EXCEPT areas with lots of flow.. I was thinking about getting the hydro koralia nano 240gph. But I'm scared it will be way to much flow.. I just need a bit of good movement and it seems a lot of powerheads are crappy and or are to expensive... If anything I can put a rock infront or angle it against the glass to it breaks up a lot of the movement..

Basically I'm asking, is this way to much in a 10 gallon or could I get away with it..?

I wouldn't do it.

Algae grows because of a problem with the tank rather than the flow.

What are your parameters?
How old is the tank?
What type of algae is it?
How long do you run your lights?
What lights do you have?

Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Phosphate 0
Gh 14
Kh 16
Tank is a month old.
I have 2 cfl 15w 6500k over the 10 gallon. Lights aren't on more than 7 hours. It's hair algae I'm pretty sure

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The algae grows only on the plants and areas with no flow to them. They look like dead spots. I added another HoB filter to get flow around for now. And I moved the tank to make sure I wasn't getting any light in it. It's worse now than it's ever been. I also dose excel 1 ml in the morning before lights go on. I also put a couple drops of kno3 in a day.

Doing the black out now. Also, can't do to high of excel cuz I have shrimp

Wow, why? Do you have algae or do you find it helps with plants more?

I have high light and a crap load of plants. It helps keep algae at bay and keeps my plants growing quickly.

HVKc5E7.jpg

You must go through excel like I go through booze (and that's a lot) ;) lol

You must go through excel like I go through booze (and that's a lot) ;) lol

I buy metricide 14 day sterilizing solution. It's twice as strong as excel and is the exact same thing. It is also $25 for a gallon so I am basically getting 2 gallons of excel for $25. I'm well on my way through my second gallon of metricide now

Back
Top Bottom