Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

fluctuating CO2

Folks,
Just took a co2 reading--PH 7.0 KH 3 drops to yellow brings my CO2 to 9 according to Chucks calculator.
What would make my PH 7? It is always around 6.5-6.6.
Thanks
Cliff NY

Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cliffz,

Check one of the stickies in here about making a CO2 drop checker. For a little bit of work and a couple bucks you can have a relatively accurate value of CO2 in the tank.

The problem with the pH/KH relationship is that its only accurate in a perfect system. The truth is we have a lot of dissolved solids and chemicals in that water that can change/buffer the pH. So when you do the pH/KH chart from Chuck, you might be wayyyyy off.

The idea of the drop checker is to have a reference solution in the tank that you know is a set KH, [b]with no actual contact to the tank water. No fish food, ferts, poo, or other chemicals can get into this solution. This creates that perfect system that the pH/KH chart is meant to describe, and gives you a very good estimation of CO2 levels.

HTH

Tags
co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com