Fluval 405

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keybler

Aquarium Advice Regular
Finally broke down and bought one. I should have it in about a week. The first thing that comes to mind is keep the media types that come with the unit, or switch them out.

I have a 55g planted tank running a marineland 400 right now, 2 right size e, then 1 carbon basket and 1 ammolock basket. I'm about to remove the ammolock, don't think I need it. I plan to run the 405 filter for a month or so to let the bb grow in the filter.

What media types are helpful for the plants.

Thanks

I run polyester pillow stuffing in the bottom basket and biomax in the top three. I have had no problems in my 75g planted tank.

Ditto filter floss crammed tightly in bottom tray and biomedia in the other three. I would use Seachem Matrix instead of Biomax, it has more bioavailable surface area and may allow for denitrification.

I just got the 405, its pretty nice so far. I'm going to go with the filter floss idea. then biomax or seachems haven't picked, in the next 2 trays. I'm trying to figure out what to use in the top tray. Polishing pads? is there anything that can help my plants out?

The floss is your polishing (and should go before the biomedia).

I would just do another tray of biomedia.

ok. Another question, should I fill the trays with the most possible biomedia? the 405 came with bags in each part and filled it up only half way.

thanks.

also another thought, how offen before the biomedia needs to be changed? and cleaned?

Do not clean the biomax. You can occasionally rinse it with old tank water if it really bothers you to look at it. The whole purpose is so that the good bacteria has somewhere to grow. It only needs to be replaced when it falls apart. I only put one bag per basket bit it really couldn't hurt anything if you put more in the basket.

Back
Top Bottom