Fluval 88g Co2 system....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alink708

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im setting up a planted tank right now and am thinking about buying one of these systems, I can get one for 25 bucks right now.
Does anyone have any experience with these? Pro's / Con's??
I noticed the replacement cartridge's are alittle pricey at 33$ for a 3 pack,but at the same time I wonder how long a single cartridge lasts for? Does any one know? Thanks.

From what I have seen- on a small aquarium, they work pretty well. The "catch" is that the cylinders are pricey, but fairly convenient.

You can get adapters for that system so that you can use paintball CO2 canisters, which are refillable, and possibly #5 cylinders (but don't quote me on that one).

Amazon.com: 88g BB Gun Air Tank Adapter - paintball: Sports & Outdoors

Is that the screw in one or the pellet pistol CO2 cartridge thing?

I don't trust it with a 5# tank. That popping off not only will turn into a projectile but will flood your room with co2 and could possibly propel the cylinder itself through some walls....Also the threads are different from the 88g pistol carts so you can't use those. I'd say just build a paintball set up if you want to go small. But in the end go big or go broke and buy a big at least 5lb tank and regulator.

I don't trust it with a 5# tank. That popping off not only will turn into a projectile but will flood your room with co2 and could possibly propel the cylinder itself through some walls....Also the threads are different from the 88g pistol carts so you can't use those. I'd say just build a paintball set up if you want to go small. But in the end go big or go broke and buy a big at least 5lb tank and regulator.

Yea, I was iffy on that bit too. But I would imagine that it would work just fine with the paintball adapter.

This is all assuming you can get it on the cheap. Otherwise, making a paintball setup would be the way to go on a small scale tank.

Thanks for the info. The guy selling it finally got back to me, he said the 88g cartridges last for about 3 months running alittle rich. So I guess 3 months for $10 isnt too bad. It was a thought of mine to take it into the paintball shop and see what they could rig up to the regulator to take larger bottles,im friends with the owner so he might not even charge me. I was going big with this tank but the emergency vet bill from the dog monday night is going to set my progress back at least 2 weeks on this tank.

sorry to hear that about your dog
my dog had a heartattack this past spring and now takes medication twice a day
anyway, I am wondering about the Fluval Mini Co2 20 system
let us know how yours works out

Thanks potato. Dogs doing good,she had almost cut her dew claw / thumb off on something in my dads back yard while we were visiting for dinner...6 stitches but shes healing good. Sorry to hear about yours, I know how hard it is,they are definetly your best friends! I havent set up the 88g yet,it will still be a few weeks before I have everything ready to go at this rate (setting up 2 tanks at a time is a pain!) Im re-doing the 55g and just set up a SW biocube. Ill post my results as soon as I have some for ya!

Back
Top Bottom