Fluval chi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well piece by piece my tank supplies are coming together! I have my root tabs, driftwood, heater, and testing stuff! Still waiting on my ADA Aqua soil from Amazon but I'm looking for some answers for the near future!

1. Flora and fauna- what would recommend i thinking RCS but have no idea for plants and also and other ideas for shrimp and/or fish are appreciated!

2. Lighting troubleshooting- as some of you know the fluval chi filter and light run off on power cord. Thus I can not put it on a timer (or can I?) does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

3. Where to buy plants- my LPS doesn't have very good selection, what big name stores would you recommend and how would i transport these plants for a long trip? (I am in cities with big pet stores for hockey on many weekends and good pick some up on my way back some time!)

4. Any other additional advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Come on anyone? :(

I have a chi. I love it and hate it. The design is neat, but the lighting sucks bad. That said, there's some cool mods out there. Apparently there's a lid you can get for it, and to that lid you can attach LEDs for supplemental lighting, if you are up to the task. There's no way to turn the lights off without killing the filter also, apart from the switch on the back of the filter. Without supplemental lighting I only suggest the easiest stuff like mosses, anubias, etc. Most stems will grow leggy, if at all.

Stock- I love least killifish, they are relatively shrimp-safe also. Dwarf shrimp are always good, but I do suggest getting the tank established for a month or two prior to adding them, especially if you are going with Aquasoil.
As far as where to get plants from Peabodys Paradise, Your planted tank HQ has a package deal of 4 anubias plants, 2 java ferns, and a marimo moss ball, all for $20 + shipping.

I have a chi. I love it and hate it. The design is neat, but the lighting sucks bad. That said, there's some cool mods out there. Apparently there's a lid you can get for it, and to that lid you can attach LEDs for supplemental lighting, if you are up to the task. There's no way to turn the lights off without killing the filter also, apart from the switch on the back of the filter. Without supplemental lighting I only suggest the easiest stuff like mosses, anubias, etc. Most stems will grow leggy, if at all.

Stock- I love least killifish, they are relatively shrimp-safe also. Dwarf shrimp are always good, but I do suggest getting the tank established for a month or two prior to adding them, especially if you are going with Aquasoil.
As far as where to get plants from Peabodys Paradise, Your planted tank HQ has a package deal of 4 anubias plants, 2 java ferns, and a marimo moss ball, all for $20 + shipping.

Ok thanks, any idea where I could find said lid? Also only problem with those plants is I'm in Canada

Ok thanks, any idea where I could find said lid? Also only problem with those plants is I'm in Canada

I'm following because I have a planted fluval chi 5.5gal that I made my own custom led light.

Google theplantguy. He's out of Winnepeg. I've gotten my dry ferts from him and ships all over Canada with good rates. Really nice guy to deal with.

Sent from my iPad

Here's my set up right now. The light isn't finished as I'm testing it out to see how well it works. If it passes muster then I'll complete the acrylic shell and mount. I'm running an Aquaclear 20 which I'm wondering if the flow is too much even at its lowest setting. The lights are 4 led puck lights that run at 4100k and some led strip remnant that consists of 13 6700k LEDs. Also have a strip of blue LEDs that I got at princess auto for $3. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412386289.177349.jpg

Cheers, Ray

I think they are cross bred. I see black, yellow and blue in them.

My wife is wishing she didn't suggest that I get into aquariums!

Here's my set up right now. The light isn't finished as I'm testing it out to see how well it works. If it passes muster then I'll complete the acrylic shell and mount. I'm running an Aquaclear 20 which I'm wondering if the flow is too much even at its lowest setting. The lights are 4 led puck lights that run at 4100k and some led strip remnant that consists of 13 6700k LEDs. Also have a strip of blue LEDs that I got at princess auto for $3. View attachment 251778

Cheers, Ray

I may have to pick up one of those filters and see what I can find for lights if these aren't getting it done or I could try with what I got. What do you recommend?

I'm running mine with the stock light and filter and I HATE cleaning the filter...the light is ok for low low light plants and moss but that's all I have anyway...here's the setup...I really love the little tank, but I'm going to look into removing the silly filter and getting a mini canister and led suspended light....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412413146.882936.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That looks great to me haha. All I want is low mid light so far anyways so I'll give that a try at the start.

That looks great to me haha. All I want is low mid light so far anyways so I'll give that a try at the start.

Thanks I do love my little Chi but the filter is just getting annoying. I'm thinking about adding some kind of small driftwood piece in the left corner and some shrimp to keep the moss carpet clean...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have the older style chi where the light is turned on by a lever. Unfortunately the lever was missing when I bought it used and unlike the guy assured me the lever is not replaceable. I would need to replace the whole filter/light or leave the light on all the time. Yeah can we say algae invitation. That's why I built my own light. I may do a small canister diy for it though.

My wife is wishing she didn't suggest that I get into aquariums!

I have some Mopani driftwood soaking already haha

Not sure if anyone is still following this but I did finally do a few things for the tank. It's heated now. I added ADA aquasoil, my drift wood and some anacharis. I'm using a lamp temporarily as extra light because the one that comes with it is garbage but I'm looking at buying a led clip on lamp to help out.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419667171.530204.jpg
Here's what I got so far. I'm going to add some more flora and fauna shortly :)

Back
Top Bottom