Fluval Edge 12 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabercat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am picking up a 12 Gallon Edge for the holidays and I think it would be neat to do a plated tank. How much more work are they compared non-planted tanks? Do you have to trim the plants every so often? What plants would you recommend that don't grow very fast?

They are more work up front than a non-planted tank. They do require maintenance - ensuring the right water quality and balance of nutrients, along with making sure you have the right balance with your aquatic creatures. However, they can make for a healthy ecosystem that nearly manages itself with little input from you as long as you start with a good foundation and maintain your environment quality.

Also, I forgot to answer your other questions...many plants require a trim over time and some plants that are less fussy tend to be low light plants or more resilient plants. Just in my experience plants like amazon swords, java moss and pennywort are pretty simple.

You're going to want to do some DIY light upgrades... Due to the odd shape of the tank there is a small light over the small access hole, so the light is pretty inadequate for most things.

See, I'm new to all of this so is there like a brand of substrate or whatever that is better than the others and on lighting, what do you recommend for that?

I have a 12g Fluval Edge and they are rather had to plant due to the depth of the tank and the size of the opening. It's light is very low and if not upgraded you will be able to use Anubia, Java fern, Bolbitus, and Crypts. Nothing more than that. I added a Build My Led so I can grow a wide variety of plants. I have a Sword, Mini AR, Pogostemon Erectus, and a Crypt Wendtii in mine.

Substrate is a frequently argued concept lol

I use Eco Complete

http://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-Complete-20-Pound-Planted-Aquarium/dp/B0002DH0QM

But substrate isn't all you need to consider. Starting a planted tank you should consider a fertilizer, maybe CO2 as well. Some folks prefer root tabs, others use liquid ferts, some dry ferts. At the suggestion of some good folks on here I went with ferts that I mix and dose every other day and my tank has really flourished.

www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.as...rnEdit=9&Returnitemname=&ReturnShowItemStart=

I use the macro/micro mix from this site, shipping was fast but be VERY careful with products like these and mixing chemicals, wear the right safety equipment and follow directions.

Most welcome, best of luck and feel free to holler if you need help. Rivercats, though, is the bomb and totally helped me rescue my tank, so anything I offer comes from that experience

You could take the top sheet of glass completely off and get a light fixture. It would look much cleaner.

take off the top, so the opening is well, open. Use a pretty decent desk lamp pointing directly in and use a high powered CFL. Just a cheaper idea that i would do.

You could take the top sheet of glass completely off and get a light fixture. It would look much cleaner.

Fluval Edge tanks are molded with the top onto the sides just like the bottom to give it a clean look that allows you to put water all the way up so you can also look into the tank. There is a square opening for filter, etc. So you have to use a fixture that can sit on top of the acrylic top, which is why I have a BML fixture.

OP, did you set it up? Do you have pics? I love mine. I am just using the stock light for now, here is mine.

I have Christmas Moss, Staurogyne Repens, cryptocoryne Tropica, Spiralis & Balansae, Bolbitis Fern, a couple little stems of Pogostomon, Foxtail, Ludwigia Repens x L. Arcuata & Repens
60074-albums13090-picture64838.jpg

Back
Top Bottom