Fluval planted 3.0 to strong for a 72G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robo-snickers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i have a fluval planted 3.0 and i am wondering if the setting i have is to strong. The tank is a 72 bowfront that has been set up for 8 months. See attached image for light setting. Im am getting alot of brown algea on plants that are exposed the most to the light while the ones that are shaded seem to be fine. I am a bit confused cause because I do inject CO2 and dose fertz which is what i thought you do when theres alot of light. Should i turn the light down a bit? I have mainly slow growing plants such as javafern and cyrpts, but also have some sag repens which gather alot of the brown algea on their leaves.

Attachments

• 75C80F43-AE55-4188-B553-41422E224073.jpg
    75C80F43-AE55-4188-B553-41422E224073.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 95
I’ve found you can still have too much light even in a high tech tank. Plants are more low light or led lights too powerful / high in blues. I’d dial back light intensity and see if that helps. Works for most of my algae cases (sadly numerous lol).

I’ve found you can still have too much light even in a high tech tank. Plants are more low light or led lights too powerful / high in blues. I’d dial back light intensity and see if that helps. Works for most of my algae cases (sadly numerous lol).

I lowered the lights about 20% and cut down on the fertz for a bit. We’ll see where that goes. Are the blue lights in the LED bad? Should i dial them back more

Here is a similar thread for brown algae.

Went through the thread. There never seems to be a concrete answer which is why im so confused. Should i lower the light output, or raise it? I cant seem to think itll be to high of light since this is mainly affecting the areas that are getting the brightest light.

Try that and see how it goes. I never do it but try to make one change and give it a few weeks.

Blue light isn’t bad but it penetrates really well so I cut back that first. From memory on mine at 2 and half feet deep, about over a third of red light is lost and blue not much at all (based off the old BML site - basically seemed i doubled my light just to get half of it to substrate).

The light source is only one part of the equation. How often do you perform pwc, which reduces nitrates? Do you vacuum the substrate when performing pwc to eliminate excess food and waste?

The light source is only one part of the equation. How often do you perform pwc, which reduces nitrates? Do you vacuum the substrate when performing pwc to eliminate excess food and waste?

I do a PWC weekly. About 50%. I typically dont do gravel vac cause i use ADA AS but i do try to suck up some debree on the surface when i see it. I do plan on changing some plants around soon and moving some rocks. Normally i see alot of gunk trapped underneath them. Ill See if that helps

Back
Top Bottom