Fluval Spec beginner / Critiques Welcomed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyhaitran

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Fluval Spec 5g followers / Critiques Welcomed

Hello World!*:)*

My name is Danny and I am very new to the fish caring universe. I'll start my introducing myself I guess and then I'll give you all an overview of what I've done with my setup!
I've always had an interest in the observation of animals especially fish and inverts (slang I've seen at AA) but I never really understood how to take care of a tank so I finally thought, hey now that I'm adulting and making enough money to at least buy a tank, why don't I start now instead of fantasizing so I went to my*LFS( another slang I found at AA:).

During my visit to the*LFS, I was falling in love with all the fish that I could potentially have but I knew what I wanted, I've been looking at some of Takashi Amano's work and there is not other way I would want my tank to look. I knew i'm a newbie but I want to learn the way of Takashi*:)*So I'll just go ahead and list some of the preliminary stuff I bought

Fluval Spec 5 gallon (19L)
LED*Watts: 10 W
Number of LEDs: 37
Colour Temperature: 7000*K
Hours: 50 000
Pump Output: 210-300 L/h (55-80 US*Gal/h)
Glass aquarium with cover
LED*lighting system
Safe, low-voltage transformer
Circulation pump with output nozzle
Fluval foam filter block with handle
Fluval activated carbon insert
Fluval BioMax insert

-A bag of Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum Substrate
-Some beautiful rocks that I could not just leave behind
-Dwarf Hairgrass (enough to litter the base to create a carpet)
-Not sure about the other plants on the log (PLEASE ID FOR ME)
-Moss for the log
-The log
-API Master Test Kit (love it)
-Flourish Excel
-MICROBE-LIFT / Cycling & Water Conditioning Kit
◦1*pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Aquatic Stress Relief
◦1*pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Special Blend
◦1*pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Nite-Out II

Let me know if you guys have used these products and how you used it because what the owner of the*LFS*said was to
Day 1 - use all three
Day 2 - use the last 2
Day 3 - use the last 2 and bring back for water testing

So I brought everything home and I was so excited to start! I cleaned the tank out with tap water and wiped down the glass, added the substrate and created sort of a slope from front to back. cleaned the media filter and tested it. Flooded the tank and added the rocks. I added the plants after Day 3 of the tank running
I do hope for a full carpet and small miniature looking fish. Can I get suggestions on what you would add to this tank to bring it to life!

I'll keep everyone updated on what's going on! Cheers

-Danny

Attachments

• 1470378902855.jpg
    1470378902855.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 234
Hello World!*:)*

My name is Danny and I am very new to the fish caring universe. I'll start my introducing myself I guess and then I'll give you all an overview of what I've done with my setup!
I've always had an interest in the observation of animals especially fish and inverts (slang I've seen at AA) but I never really understood how to take care of a tank so I finally thought, hey now that I'm adulting and making enough money to at least buy a tank, why don't I start now instead of fantasizing so I went to my*LFS( another slang I found at AA:).

During my visit to the*LFS, I was falling in love with all the fish that I could potentially have but I knew what I wanted, I've been looking at some of Takashi Amano's work and there is not other way I would want my tank to look. I knew i'm a newbie but I want to learn the way of Takashi*:)*So I'll just go ahead and list some of the preliminary stuff I bought

Fluval Spec 5 gallon (19L)
LED*Watts: 10 W
Number of LEDs: 37
Colour Temperature: 7000*K
Hours: 50 000
Pump Output: 210-300 L/h (55-80 US*Gal/h)
Glass aquarium with cover
LED*lighting system
Safe, low-voltage transformer
Circulation pump with output nozzle
Fluval foam filter block with handle
Fluval activated carbon insert
Fluval BioMax insert

-A bag of Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum Substrate
-Some beautiful rocks that I could not just leave behind
-Dwarf Hairgrass (enough to litter the base to create a carpet)
-Not sure about the other plants on the log (PLEASE ID FOR ME)
-Moss for the log
-The log
-API Master Test Kit (love it)
-Flourish Excel
-MICROBE-LIFT / Cycling & Water Conditioning Kit
◦1*pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Aquatic Stress Relief
◦1*pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Special Blend
◦1*pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Nite-Out II

Let me know if you guys have used these products and how you used it because what the owner of the*LFS*said was to
Day 1 - use all three
Day 2 - use the last 2
Day 3 - use the last 2 and bring back for water testing

So I brought everything home and I was so excited to start! I cleaned the tank out with tap water and wiped down the glass, added the substrate and created sort of a slope from front to back. cleaned the media filter and tested it. Flooded the tank and added the rocks. I added the plants after Day 3 of the tank running
I do hope for a full carpet and small miniature looking fish. Can I get suggestions on what you would add to this tank to bring it to life!

I'll keep everyone updated on what's going on! Cheers

-Danny

Hi Danny

What a pleasant post. I can almost feel the excitement.

Wow you wasn't kidding about about buying a few aquarium things.

The tank is one of my personal faves although I have never owned one. I would personally only use it for shrimp or maybe a Betta but with your filter turnover the Betta may struggle. The plants will enjoy the flow though. I'm not up on stocking levels but there MAY be some nano fish that could go in here but again someone more experienced in this area may have to offer their advice.

As for the lighting, seems ok. No reason to 'upgrade' it should grow plants fine at that depth.

That filter is pretty hefty turnover, for plants that's s good thing as flow is very beneficial. George farmer over on UKAPS is renowned for his 25x tank turnover. You should spy some of his tanks. As long as fish are not stressed this should be ok. So much in fact that the circulation pump may not be necessary.

As for the substrate, I've heard of it but never used it. You haven't listed any fertilisers in your post other than excel which is a form of liquid carbon.
You need to know what (if any) nutrients the substrate holds as it may just have a high cation exchange capacity, which is still a good thing.

I haven't used the microbe products and are probably unnecessary but they won't hurt using them now you have them.

The DHG may have been better separated in to finer clumps but should be ok. Is that another carpet plants In there too next to the hairgrass?

The other plant on the log is a Anubias variety and it is correctly placed attached to hardware.

How do you plan on cycling this tank?

I see know reason why this tank will not be a success, you have done some excellent research and made so great purchases. The excel will make your life a whole lot easier.

Keep us updated, can't wait to see it fill in. Great first scape too. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I myself started up a Fluval Spec V about 4 months ago and am really enjoying it so far! Your off to a good start it looks like. The plant on the log is an Anubias variety and will grow well under the stock lighting. I've got Anubias, Wisteria, and Amazon swords in my tank and all 3 have grown well underneath the stock lighting. I do use API root tabs and dose fertilizers and liquid C02. As far as fish goes you will be limited in a tank this size but a couple smaller fish should be ok. I personally have 2 Endler's live bearers and 1 Otocinclus and they've been doing well. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470408179.905003.jpg

Hi Caliban!

Thank you so much for the feedback, I'm glad that I could send a surge of beginners excitement to even pro's like you.

I'll just leave comments in the order you left them

The way the tank is shaped, the flow almost becomes still enough for the Betta but i'm going to keep my Betta in his own tank for now :) I would certainly like to see what people have done with their filter head.

The light is sure quite bright, I find that algae is already covering the rocks most likely because I left the light shining for about 8-10 hours for 2 days.. Maybe?

From the description on the Fluval site, it mentions that is contain the necessary nutrients for planted and shrimped aquariums. There is more hype on the site but i'm sure it will be fine. I'm finding some of the Hairgrasses are rooting nicely with the Flourish Excel.

As for the Microbe-lift product, I am so impressed. So I mentioned that I used the products for 3 days, the levels of Ammonia, N02, and N03 were 2,.25, 0. Now on the 8th day, It's 2,2,5 ... so i'm seeing progress! I guess.

To answer you question on how i'm cycling. I'm using the Microbe-life products. I've seen many people say that it's not really bacteria in a bottle but i'm just following the instructions to add special blend the first day, the 8th day and the 15th day and use Nite-out II every other day until ammonia and no2 are 0. I'll keep everyone updated shortly :D

I thought I had seperated into fine clumps already but I could get another set and add it so that it will spread evenly. There is another plant but i'm not sure what it is, it looks like natural grass..

I like the anubias, it looks gorgeous and I can't wait to see how more beautiful it will get

Until next time..

Danny,

Hi Huffers,

I love you tank wow! Look at those plants, so green, so clear. Thank you for sharing. I'll continue to use the liquid co2 and see how that goes for now. I'll look into getting fish much later, I have much more research to do. I do appreciate the recommendations!

Public Service Announcement: Please share your Fluval Spec tanks, I want to see them all!

Danny,

Hi Caliban!

Thank you so much for the feedback, I'm glad that I could send a surge of beginners excitement to even pro's like you.

I'll just leave comments in the order you left them

The way the tank is shaped, the flow almost becomes still enough for the Betta but i'm going to keep my Betta in his own tank for now :) I would certainly like to see what people have done with their filter head.

The light is sure quite bright, I find that algae is already covering the rocks most likely because I left the light shining for about 8-10 hours for 2 days.. Maybe?

From the description on the Fluval site, it mentions that is contain the necessary nutrients for planted and shrimped aquariums. There is more hype on the site but i'm sure it will be fine. I'm finding some of the Hairgrasses are rooting nicely with the Flourish Excel.

As for the Microbe-lift product, I am so impressed. So I mentioned that I used the products for 3 days, the levels of Ammonia, N02, and N03 were 2,.25, 0. Now on the 8th day, It's 2,2,5 ... so i'm seeing progress! I guess.

To answer you question on how i'm cycling. I'm using the Microbe-life products. I've seen many people say that it's not really bacteria in a bottle but i'm just following the instructions to add special blend the first day, the 8th day and the 15th day and use Nite-out II every other day until ammonia and no2 are 0. I'll keep everyone updated shortly :D

I thought I had seperated into fine clumps already but I could get another set and add it so that it will spread evenly. There is another plant but i'm not sure what it is, it looks like natural grass..

I like the anubias, it looks gorgeous and I can't wait to see how more beautiful it will get

Until next time..

Danny,

Hi Danny that's great. So you want to get a good flow on the tank for the plants. Aim for a gentle sway and you should be set. Flow is much more critical as the tank size increases so I'm not overly concerned about flow in this tank but you just want good water movement.

Algae wise you are probably experiencing diatoms. They will disappear in time so don't get overzealous about tackling it just yet. Is it a brown algae?

Your lighting schedule is good but I'd reign it in to more like 6-8 hours. Especially while the tank is establishing. My bet is the ammonia is coming from the substrate. I'm definitely not buying the microbe products ? but I'm glad things seem to be moving forward and I'm glad you are waiting for the cycle to complete before you add any livestock.

I don't foresee any algae problems developing in this tank as long as it is kept clean once established and you continue to add the co2. Look out for mineral deficiencies that will tell you if the substrate is slowing down and running out of minerals then you can just get some dry salts. Keep in mind that as plant mass grows, nutrient demand will increase so you need to either trim or increase dosing.

Good luck. Here is a pic of where I am at

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470418544.878627.jpg

@huffers. Nice scape, refreshing to see people people going straight in with the co2 and not running in to problems like I did.

@Caliban07

That's a great looking setup! I really like those swords you've got on either side. How many gallons is that?

Anyways, I'm gona keep following this thread! These little Fluval tanks make great planted nano aquariums. Will be fun watching yours grow!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

@Caliban07

That's a great looking setup! I really like those swords you've got on either side. How many gallons is that?

Anyways, I'm gona keep following this thread! These little Fluval tanks make great planted nano aquariums. Will be fun watching yours grow!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks huffers. I have been told it looks bigger but it is 46 gallons. I mean it's ok but there hasn't really been any thought in to the layout.

@Caliban

You're giving me so much info! I absolutely love it!

So I maxed out the flow that is being produced and pointed it up to make a little breakage in the water to allow exchange between CO2 and O so I hope that works for now.

Algae started to grow on the tank walls and i'm starting to see brown algae on the rocks. I was told that algae tends to grow on the Dwarf Hairgrass and they usually just become suffucated from it. More info on this? What sort of livestock should i add later on to maintain this?

I'll get a timer that will be set to be around 6-8 which I do agree would be plenty giving the stock lighting equipment that came with this setup. That's a great observation and could very well be the case but either way. I've slowed down on the Ammonia and i'm seeing a jump in Nitrites and Nitrates! I'm adding a pinch of fish food now and then, no larger than a grain of rice to supplemenet the ammonia output.

I am a true believer in fishless cycle <3

Your tank looks gorgeous, I'm really liking how it looks like a well maintained garden with very strong left and right walls, a space for the fish to dwell and hide, plus some wooden hints here and there. Beautiful.

-Danny

@Caliban

You're giving me so much info! I absolutely love it!

So I maxed out the flow that is being produced and pointed it up to make a little breakage in the water to allow exchange between CO2 and O so I hope that works for now.

Algae started to grow on the tank walls and i'm starting to see brown algae on the rocks. I was told that algae tends to grow on the Dwarf Hairgrass and they usually just become suffucated from it. More info on this? What sort of livestock should i add later on to maintain this?

I'll get a timer that will be set to be around 6-8 which I do agree would be plenty giving the stock lighting equipment that came with this setup. That's a great observation and could very well be the case but either way. I've slowed down on the Ammonia and i'm seeing a jump in Nitrites and Nitrates! I'm adding a pinch of fish food now and then, no larger than a grain of rice to supplemenet the ammonia output.

I am a true believer in fishless cycle <3

Your tank looks gorgeous, I'm really liking how it looks like a well maintained garden with very strong left and right walls, a space for the fish to dwell and hide, plus some wooden hints here and there. Beautiful.

-Danny

Ha well thanks, that's what AA is for ?

With regards to flow and the output. Are you using co2? If so liquid or gas.

When using gas you don't want to 'break' the surface you just want a gentle ripple otherwise the gas will escape. With liquid that's OK to have a bit of surface agitation.

This sounds like brown diatoms which is completely normal in new setups so do worry about that so much. Adding livestock to control algae in planted tanks can be helpful but bare in mind you are adding to the bioload and there are only a few types that will eat a few types of algae so it's picking the right ones. Ottos are good, Amano shrimp and nitrite snails so a good job. There will be more. However if you manage to rid the tank of algae completely what do this guys eat then? You have to supplement which can just add to the waste with uneaten pellets. You will always get some algae and its best to keep it if you have algae eaters.

Thanks, I am planning on a new tank soon.

Microbe lift is awesome, great products. I Love fluval specs too, I have a nano reef set up in mine. Great tanks!
Xi0R68K.jpg

Sent via echolocation

Hello Everyone,

It's been a couple weeks I know but I'm back from the land of Ireland and I've got great news!

First of all, my tank is cycled. But when it got cycled? I do not know! About 2 weeks back from today, I was testing daily to see what the levels of Ammonia, No2, No3 would be and it kept coming up as .25, 0, 0 ! I did not know why and I was so frustrated, about 3 days ago, I read an article that I need to really really really shake and bang the Nitrate test bottles to get the little itty bitty crystals from the bottom. I got .25, 0, 30ppm! I was estatic. Well now that it looks great. My plants are thriving.. sort of. I think the light is a little weak. I may get different lighting.

I've added some Rummy Nose Tetra's and cherry shrimps to start and they are bright. Super bright. They are swimming in a pack and are eating. I turned down the outflow to stop too much current. I've also added an airstone. Not too sure if this helps much but I've got it running.

I'll post a photo very soon!

Danny,

Hi Caliban,

Well, it's been quite some time since I've updated this thread so I will continue to do so. I am using CO2 but I'm seeing slow growth from the HG assuming my light is not strong enough to absorb the CO2. Gas and liquid.

You are right about the brown diatoms which eventually went away. I've currently got a couple Kouli loaches, a pair of boston blue guppies and a bunch of rummynoses and they are thriving. The plants that I've added are some moss, not sure which kind and HG. I did have rcs but i've moved them to another tank. I may get some nitrite snails.

Excited to see your tank!!

My Fluval Spec V is in the closet waiting for a new FW scape. I have never used it before, it's a used tank my daughter found for me for under $10. from the thrift store.

I have been considering PRL aka Pure Red Line Shrimp with the Boraras Brigittae aka Chilis. I will be watching all the progress and great looking tanks showing up here.

Glad to have you here. Sounds like you have an enormous amount of goodies. Looking forward to more pics!

Back
Top Bottom