fluval stratum with sand cap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reign

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, Ive been reading how messy and dirty fluval stratum is. I was wondering if it was a good idea to just treat it like dirt.
I was thinking about putting a nice and or gravel cap on it so it wouldnt cloud the water as much.

What are your guys suggestions/thoughts on this? Would it just be better to use dirt maybe?

How large is the tank? Certain substrates, like fluval stratum, can get spendy in larger tanks. I've used FS for a long time without any issues. I researched the heck out of it prior so I knew about the complaints going in. TBH, it never really clouded my water or disintegrated into mud in over a year of using it. I used it in a fast growing high tech tank so there was a good amount of pulling plants out and replanting. Knowing it's weaknesses of being lightweight and somewhat delicate, I was fairly gentle with it. Even when filling the tank for the first time I made sure to not disturb the substrate too much by using a bowl to catch water as I'm pouring in water slowly. This minimized disturbance and reduced cloudiness. Also, you don't rinse FS. Doing so only exacerbates the cloudiness.

I used FS as a top layer over a bed of Floramax. Putting sand on top will only work it's way down under the FS over time. Like cookie crumbs in a jar.

I've never tried dirted before. Now that I find to be messy if you're going to be pulling plants or rescaping. However, it is a very cost effective option in larger tanks. I'd do miracle-gro first layer with a cap of sand or eco complete (if not 100% eco).

Fluval stratum, IMO, is an attractive substrate. I'd rather have it on top. It also acts as a pH buffer. But FS's other weakness is that it's not as nutrient packed as ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia, which looks similar. For that reason, ADA AS is the best substrate if it's within budget.

Dirt works so well!! It's a lot cheaper and is perfect for heavy root feeders. I've had no problems with my dirt, and my tank is very clean. No ammonia spikes, no nothing. All I have over it is about 1.5" PFS. And when my MTS go under, they don't bring soil back up with them.

I have Fluval Stratum in my 15g and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it but it hates me!!. I'm going to swap it out for Eco Fine. I am NOT disagreeing with Brian_Nano as he is way more experienced and skilled with plants than I am but I found I was changing my filter floss very regularly. It does look great but I found it very hard to plant with, again that's my lack of skill. I really am on the fence here but if I had to choose between Stratum and Eco Fine, it Eco i'm afraid. Stratum is also quite expensive, over here anyway!!!....

I think they discontinued fluval stratum. I can't find it anywhere local, or on amazon?

There's a local fish store here going out of business and they just sold me the stratum from the ebi sets lol it was like 13$ for 2 4.4lb bags.. great price for it here

Nice analogy Brian!!!

Thanks Ian. I've read somewhere that there was some inconsistency in the FS. Something like they improved it in later generations... not sure if this is true or not. Maybe that's why our experience with it is different? I was surprised when I did my rescape that after a year it was still pretty much intact and didn't turn muddy.

@Joey - what's up, bud! Yeah, I tried searching for it a while back. Couldn't find it online. Maybe they did discontinue it. Hmm, might have to check my LFS for clearance sales ;)

There's a local fish store here going out of business and they just sold me the stratum from the ebi sets lol it was like 13$ for 2 4.4lb bags.. great price for it here

Yeah that's a great price! Too bad they're going out of business! Just goes to show how we need to support our mom & pops LFS's -- not these big box petsmart/co when we can.

It was a big store. It was petcetra. That's why I didn't feel bad trying to take more lol. I also sweet talked the girl helping me and she used her discount for me :p

I can't get the aqua soil here. And I already decided to do the dirted tank on my 10 gallon. I just don't got the FS cheap. Maybe I'll just try to sell it online and make some money lol

I use FS in pots, in my large tank...I fined the plants grow really well in it, I just put a fine cover of gravel around the top. In my small tank I have FS as substrate, though it looks really good, it can be a bit messy and I find it difficult to keep the plants in it without covering that section with a rock or 2 to help weigh it down. I am looking at using sand when I change the substrate from gravel in my big tank. FS certainly wouldn't be my first choice on that tank. I bought 2 large bags on eBay, very expensive. I would love the black Caribsea sand, but that's very costly too, I can't seem to by black blasting sand here in Cairns.

Back
Top Bottom