For those of you with pressurized CO2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the process of buying all of the equipment i need to set up a planted standard 55gal. Got my filter, 4X54 T5s, hardscapes, Aquasoil, etc. Time to look into gas right, well i was originally thinking a 5lb cylinder, then actually stumbled onto a 15lber..! anyway i have it, not sure if that's "good" or not..

I plan on having med to high light plants, tetras, and eventually some shrimps.. the CO2 and lights will be on the same schedule. I'm curious, how long will a whopping 15 pound tank last for me?

Anyone that has similar conditions, or tank size, with pressurized gas please let me know.

Thanks

I have an almost identical set up as you do and I get about 6 months or so out of my 5lb cylinder. You can see a year and a half in my opinion, depending on how efficient your CO2 reactor is. I used a design by Rex Griggs and it works well in my opinion. Welcome to the hobby!

I would go with the 15lb if you can. It will definitely last you close to a year, assuming you don't have any leaks in your setup. I have a 20lb tank that I use on my 40g and 29g. When I just used it on my 40g it lasted a year (maybe a year and some odd months...). I still expect it to last around a year even using it on both tanks.

I hate getting my cylinder refilled, so going over a year between fill-ups is a major plus.

i myself am set up for planted tanks but went with the africans instead. still have all my stuff but barely used it. I myself used "Rex Griggs" as posted above for alot of my info.

as always the bigger the better. if you turn the co2 off at night it might last 2 years or more. i use a 10 pounder on my 120.

next question would be what method to use for CO2 diffusion? not sure i want to mess with the glass/ceramic types... i know Drs. F&S have a membrane diffuser that is supposed to be efficient. or do i need a reactor, or maybe connect to my canister filter for diffusion in a 55gal??

reactor is a good idea. some people just put the co2 into the input of the canister. some of mine i run on the out put since it has a air line in spot. others i use power heads to break it up and spreed it around the tank. there really isnt one way to do it. i am not a fan of the ceramics since they can clog.

This is what I did:

http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm

I get 6 months out of my 5lb cylinder. I don't worry too much about 'bubbles per minute' or anything like that. I use a drop checker coupled with CO2 and pH charts and all works fine for me, for the most part.

Some negligence and assumption that while I was out of town someone was actually FOLLOWING the directions I left on the counter along with the syringe and ferts for a couple weeks... :p No way that my tank only used 10 ml of pre mixed dry ferts while I was gone. Nothing died but BOY did a get a nasty case of BBA...

I have not, but I highly recommend a powerhead diffusion method. I use an Aquaclear powerhead (can't remember the exact model) and have the CO2 tubing going through a fine airstone connected to the intake of the PH. Pretty much get microscopic bubbles coming out of the PH, and the PH helps to keep a constant circulation in the tank along with my filter.

I tried all the usual passive diffusion methods with little success. The PH coupled with the airstone has given me great results.

HTH

AquaClear makes a powerhead that works really well. It has a variable setting so you can dial in how much flow you really want. I think it was under $20 and I got it from bigals online. You can probably find it at any retail store as well. The bottom of the PH has a perforated nipple that prevents fish from getting sucked up. What I did was take a razor blade and cut a small portion out so I could stick an air stone in the hole. You then simply attach the CO2 line to the air stone and voila.

You can't even see the PH in my tank pic once you get planted well enough. It's in the bottom right corner of the pic in my sig.

I use the AquaClear powerhead also. Works good for me.The one I use has a spot for a air line connection I just replaced it with the co2 line.

I use the AquaClear powerhead also. Works good for me.The one I use has a spot for a air line connection I just replaced it with the co2 line.

I tried using that but the bubbles weren't going through the impeller and getting chopped up really fine. It wasn't until I plugged that spot with the included plug and went through the intake that I got really fine bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom