Former salties first fw shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only see one pic...

That's nice you have some shrimp. They really are fun to watch.

Congrats on the new fish . I expect you will see them creeping in and out of the plants and DW pretty happy. Your set up should be a good home for them.

I think I got it fixed, ya they’re pretty cool little critters. The Gudgeons seem to be enjoying the tank too.

Very nice setup. What is the secret for keeping shrimp alive? I've not had much luck with them.

Thanks. And no clue, first batch I’ve ever had. Hoping with lots of plants and some moss they’ll be able to get established

Very nice setup. What is the secret for keeping shrimp alive? I've not had much luck with them.

Hi - I’m intrigued, what is the plant with the pink stem? Is it easy to grow (i.e no special lighting or CO2)?

On shrimps, I have cherries in my 120ltr (heavily planted with lots of wood/hiding places, easy community fish i.e tetra, cories) and the just seem to keep on breeding.

Started with 6. Now probably have 60.

No skill on my part, but good maintenance and places to hide probably what has seen them thrive.

D

The plant with the pink stem is artificial... I have two artificial plants that I'm trying to replace with equivalent replacements. That one being one of them...

The plant with the pink stem is artificial... I have two artificial plants that I'm trying to replace with equivalent replacements. That one being one of them...

Ah, no wonder I couldn’t place it.

Looks striking, but I confess to preferring the real thing where possible.

Not sure if the fish can tell the difference though!

Hi - I’m intrigued, what is the plant with the pink stem? Is it easy to grow (i.e no special lighting or CO2)?

On shrimps, I have cherries in my 120ltr (heavily planted with lots of wood/hiding places, easy community fish i.e tetra, cories) and the just seem to keep on breeding.

Started with 6. Now probably have 60.

No skill on my part, but good maintenance and places to hide probably what has seen them thrive.

D

Scarlet temple I believe it’s called. It’s only been in there a few days but we’ll see how it does. I’d say I’m on the high end of the medium light strength

Added some emerald rasboras and rotala indica today

vctANMi.jpg

aB6Zsp9.jpg

ksK8i0x.jpg

r2ohlkG.jpg

Fts

oT0f1hA.jpg

Few update pics, tanks doing well, crypts are really taking off. Thinking about moving the panda cories to the 40b and replacing them with Pygmy cories since they’re starting to get big and I kinda want to add 6 cpd’s.

OJTWgBd.jpg

eKMQJfV.jpg

zyBYyiU.jpg

rgYklsN.jpg

MO9fJLG.jpg

Fts

DsR584I.jpg

It looks great!

As for the Pygmy Cories I really recommend them.

Also the Habrosus Pygmy Cory (Corydoras habrosus) are not too expensive and very fun loving little guys. Harder to find than Pygmies.

AND they are referred to as the Salt and Pepper Cory, but that is not the same as the Peppered Cory (Corydoras paleatus) which although smallish are more than 2x their size. This happened to me getting a group of them with some shrimp and they turned out to be Paleatus.

Corydoras hastatus aka Black Diamond Cory (or Tail Spot Cory), or what I call it is; the really expensive Dwarf Cory.

;)

Thanks autumn, I’m pretty sure they were the pygmaeus but I didn’t look to closely. And I actually caught all 4 in about 5 minutes tonight during feeding and moved them into the 40. Didn’t have to even remove anything, got them all in the same and only open corner

Went with the hasbrosus cories and picked up 6 today. Also grabbed a couple more portions of rotolla indica ( I think it’s called that at least)

7x5oJoA.jpg

viuAybi.jpg

Good size comparison shot

0N3gatH.jpg

Peacock got jealous

hX4JM1H.jpg

Funny pic with the Peacock checking out the new guy.

Everything there looks good. Your plants are growing really thick!

Thanks autumn, ya the plants are really doing well in here. I’ve always been a big corie fan, but these little guys are some freaking adorable they’ve gotta be my new favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks autumn, ya the plants are really doing well in here. I’ve always been a big corie fan, but these little guys are some freaking adorable they’ve gotta be my new favorites.

Do not have them now (now Pygmy) but I liked them so much. I would love to get like 20 (or more) of the little guys and watch them roaming around the tank.

So the lfs has the fluval flex tanks on sale, was thinking about grabbing one and upgrading this tank to something a little sleeker looking. Any one had a flex? Can the lid be removed because I imagine the stock lights are on the weak side and I like the one I have now.

Back
Top Bottom