Found a crab in my Opae Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjpeissner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed the other day I have a teeny crab in my Opae tank, about the size of the end of a pencil eraser if even that big. He hitchhiked in an empty snail shell which was suppose to be a live snail from Petco. Turns out there is no snail. Petco hasn't a clue as to what he is or how to advise me. I am very concerned. The water is brackish. Would he already be dead if incompatible with the water? I don't want him to suffer. He's cute as can be. Very shy and fast so he will be the devil to catch. I put an object in the opae tank so he could climb on it if he needed air. So far he seems fully aquatic. Please advise and thank you.

Could it be a Thai Mircro spider crab? That's the only actual crab I can think of at such a small size...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here is a photo. Not good but hopefully you can see it enough to identify it. My crab went into hiding and molted. Now he is out and sitting on an algae disc I put in the tank for him. He is so cute. He played peek a boo with me for a bit then his hunger won and he came out and started eating.

BTW I took the photo using a magnifying glass and iphone which explains the blurriness of the pic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peissner_family/18816224805?fb_action_ids=739754146133831&fb_action_types=og.shares

Here is a photo. Not good but hopefully you can see it enough to identify it. My crab went into hiding and molted. Now he is out and sitting on an algae disc I put in the tank for him. He is so cute. He played peek a boo with me for a bit then his hunger won and he came out and started eating.

BTW I took the photo using a magnifying glass and iphone which explains the blurriness of the pic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peiss...ids=739754146133831&fb_action_types=og.shares

My gosh I've never seen anything like that!
PM Gillie and see if he has any knowledge on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow! That is so cool! Gillies is THE expert lol. To send a message, go to the top right where it says private messages, then type in Gillie in the recipients box and type your message, then send.

Back
Top Bottom