Four plus solid hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picking up pieces of eco complete with BBA attached with my fingers. Is there a better way?????????????????????? I don't think my fingers will ever unprune.

maybe take the fish net and scoop out the pieces plus a few extra, sort them out and replace the good stuff.

I have no idea if it will work, but how about capping it with more substrate to starve BBA from light and hopefully kill those bits? Keep fighting the good fight, buddy.

nutrient balancing...and the BBA will fade on its own. but yer right, it sticks to Eco incredibly well.

Take a little syringe and squirt the gravel with tiny bits of Flourish Excel. I would only use the recommended amount each time (that you would add if supplementing with Excel).

I'm with PG, Flourish Excel is anathema to BBA. It will snuff it quickly if you can squirt it. You can also (not recommended if you have fish in the tank) dose with three times recommended levels of Excel and it does a good job of wiping out BBA. And, if you can get your hands on it, raw glutaraldehyde (one of the active ingredients in Excel) dosed at 1 mL per 100G does wonders but, again, is dangerous to use with fish unless you are very careful. Sticky too :p

Thanks so much for everyones suggestions. I may use the Excel as a last resort. My preference would be as malkore says to have the nutrients in balance. Let's see if we can collectively see what is out of whack?

Here are the tanks specs and readings: 125g, 330wpg photo period 12 hours. temp 80

pH 6.8, KH between 6 and 7 giving me a CO2 value of approx 30 ppm, NO3 10, PO4 .5

Now I'm thinking a few things.... One of my problems might be not enough NO3. I dislike Seachems test because it gives a high and low range value. I'm using the high range to get my reading. I'm dosing KNO3 daily but I might not be dosing enough. I say this because the NO3 appears to be at a constant level. Here's how I made my solution.... 8 tbspns of pure KNO3 in a 500ml bottle and I'm dosing 6 ml daily.

I'm also suspecting that my water might contain a higher level of iron than is ideal. I've read that iron is a contributing factor to BBA growth. Thus I've stopped dosing the plantex trace as it contains iron. Perhaps I should go back to it?

I am having similar difficulties Brian with my 29 gallon that I just upgraded to 3.3 WPG.
Here are my test results...
Co2: 24ppm
NO3: 10
PO4: .5
I am following this dosing routine:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=411374&highlight=#411374

My plants are doing great, but so is the algae including BBA. I have 6 full time Otos.
Be sure to update us if you find a solution... I was thinking about slowly increasing the dosage of Excel.

Back
Top Bottom