Free 55g and 40 breeder! Need some ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericbrookey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Title says it all. Getting a couple free tanks and need stocking and scape ideas. Thought about an iwagumi on the 55 with a large school of something or possibly cory cats and shrimp in the 40, heavily planted in sand.

Throw the ideas out. Will consider anything!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

For the 55 gallon: gulper catfish.

Haha if I were a fish that'd be me!! That thing must take the most epic vishpoos..
Op- a huge troop of corys in the 40b would be sweet. If you're going to try a high tech h planted I'd opt for the 40 over 55. Better height and foot print.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha if I were a fish that'd be me!! That thing must take the most epic vishpoos..
Op- a huge troop of corys in the 40b would be sweet. If you're going to try a high tech h planted I'd opt for the 40 over 55. Better height and foot print.
That was my original game plan, the corys, but in a 75. This alters that a bit but they were free so I'm going with it. I just hope I don't have to do any resealing!

I do love the 55 for display purposes though and it would fit the space perfectly. Decisions decisions...

Heh same...

Agreed. If you want planted I'd do the 40B. Overall a better tank with height and footprint than the 55g

Use the 55g for a wet pet or something.

Caleb

Heh same...

Agreed. If you want planted I'd do the 40B. Overall a better tank with height and footprint than the 55g

Use the 55g for a wet pet or something.

Caleb
I'm thinking of getting my son a couple crested geckos but really wanted to try a front loading exo terra for that. The 55 may have to sit for awhile until we have a bigger house.

Would cory's and some RCS coexist in the 40? Would breeding both be next to impossible? Shrimp eat the eggs, cory eat the shrimp fry?

It would be low/med light as I don't plan on adding an additional light just yet but will start with my current usa planted+ LED and co2.

Breeding in community tanks is difficult in itself.

If the tank was very densely planted, I can see some babies have have a chance of surviving.

Most likely though, eggs will be eaten.

Caleb

Wouldn't be too upset if only some of them made it but wouldn't be trying to breed copiously for sure.

Thanks Caleb!

Does anybody have experience with the dwarf puffers and how they fair in community tanks with corys?

Does anybody have experience with the dwarf puffers and how they fair in community tanks with corys?

Puffers are best kept alone. Either they are the bullies or they get bullied.

Caleb

Puffers are best kept alone. Either they are the bullies or they get bullied.

Caleb
How many dwarfs would be ok in a 20g heavily planted? If I setup the 40 I will move everything from my 20 over and thought it would be cool to keep a small group of these.

How many dwarfs would be ok in a 20g heavily planted? If I setup the 40 I will move everything from my 20 over and thought it would be cool to keep a small group of these.

6-8 if it's heavily planted.

Caleb

Please be aware some of these can be very finicky. Some will only accept snails. Snails are a natural part of their diet and it's good to have a container with a colony of them set up.

I got lucky and my loner loves bloodworms. Over time you can try weaning them to frozen from snails.

Caleb

Yeah that's what I've read. Fortunately I've got a colony going in my firebelly toad paladarium that came in with some java moss I got from my LFS.

Yeah that's what I've read. Fortunately I've got a colony going in my firebelly toad paladarium that came in with some java moss I got from my LFS.

Off topic but do the toads eat them?

I have 7 FBT and they only eat crickets and dubias.

Caleb

I've never actually seen them eat a snail but there are none that have grown very big so I assume they are. In the wild their diet does consist of snails though.

I feed cricks, dubias, wax and mealworms.

I've never actually seen them eat a snail but there are none that have grown very big so I assume they are. In the wild their diet does consist of snails though.

I feed cricks, dubias, wax and mealworms.

Interesting, thanks for the info!

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom