FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice- I like embers, great little fish. You surpassed my hiatus by 10 months.. I'll be buying my first fish in a year and a half very soon. Actually I've been considering some p. furcatus, if I can find them. Not for $11 each, though. :eek: They should cost less than half that, although as far as I can tell from your photo they do look rather impressive for juveniles at a store.

The prize should be having the most post of all the build threads! Brookster is close with 934 though.

Are you going to get the kuhlies still???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Long time, new fish. Congrats. Like bringing a new born home, but not really. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The prize should be having the most post of all the build threads! Brookster is close with 934 though.

Are you going to get the kuhlies still???

Fresh actually has a busy life with lots of people involved;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank cleared up from yesterday's upheaval. I had a TopFin internal filter lying around so I filled it with floss to help remove the particulates. Trimmed the star repens patch and turns out there were more stems available than I had anticipated; extras mailed out to fill an order.
bD3WsRX.png
I salvaged as much as it could of the AR mini
TPsTtcX.png
The Ludwigia red is looking sad
uixv7qy.png

FTS:
AeeyR2l.png

Not happy with the way the tank looks now. I want something different in there. Perhaps an interesting piece of DW in the left rear corner. I want a piece that will have roots running parallel with the substrate. These would act as natural dividers for the carpeting plants. Something like this but with the trunk in the corner:
O0dZrMT.png

I'm also toying with the idea of having a shade filled corner. Shade can be provided by the water lettuce. This would give the fish a not so bright area to hang out.

Spring cleaning came early. Still looks good though, however I understand the need for change. I really like the root look too and I was thinking that spider wood could provide that illusion since its the roots of an azalea plant.

I've always has trouble with red plants. My experience with ludwigia red was bitter sweet. First month with it was beautiful than slowly it started turning green and dying. Now I'm trying rotala macrandra, but again it's paling up and I'm afraid I'm going to lose it too.

Tank cleared up from yesterday's upheaval. I had a TopFin internal filter lying around so I filled it with floss to help remove the particulates. Trimmed the star repens patch and turns out there were more stems available than I had anticipated; extras mailed out to fill an order.

Hmm... I wonder (crossing fingers) ??

I love the look of the tank, and I agree that a nice piece of DW to help bifurcate the one side would look awesome!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Spring cleaning came early. Still looks good though, however I understand the need for change. I really like the root look too and I was thinking that spider wood could provide that illusion since its the roots of an azalea plant.

I've always has trouble with red plants. My experience with ludwigia red was bitter sweet. First month with it was beautiful than slowly it started turning green and dying. Now I'm trying rotala macrandra, but again it's paling up and I'm afraid I'm going to lose it too.

I am seeing the same thing. Growth was great early on with the Ludwigia red, trimmed and replanted a few times and now it is becoming an algae magnet. Perhaps I should toss the bottoms and only keep the growing tips.
I can always move the AR in the ludwigia's spot. That would give me some room on the right side for the DW I don't have yet (it's in my mind).
Hmm... I wonder (crossing fingers) ??

I love the look of the tank, and I agree that a nice piece of DW to help bifurcate the one side would look awesome!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

I saw lots of spider wood at the LFS. None fit exactly what I had in mind. However, I can always hack some up and "reassemble" them to fit the scape (mitre cuts and super glue).
I learned a new word today: bifurcate.

I am seeing the same thing. Growth was great early on with the Ludwigia red, trimmed and replanted a few times and now it is becoming an algae magnet. Perhaps I should toss the bottoms and only keep the growing tips.
I can always move the AR in the ludwigia's spot. That would give me some room on the right side for the DW I don't have yet (it's in my mind).

I saw lots of spider wood at the LFS. None fit exactly what I had in mind. However, I can always hack some up and "reassemble" them to fit the scape (mitre cuts and super glue).
I learned a new word today: bifurcate.

Lol - hope you get to use it!!

And as for this super glue assembly; Is there an aquarium safe glue!? Where can I find it? I can't believe I didn't know this...

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

I think any type of Super Glue can be used as soon as it is dried and cured. I could be wrong so someone speak up.
I have some large pieces of DW in my garden. They been there for many years. About the size of a basketball, maybe larger. I might find something to work with. I also have some smaller pieces in a small pond outside. Not sure if I want to go elbow deep in the chilly water. Or they could be in the house somewhere. How do I lose stuff in my house?
Still contemplating building a new stand. I want it to be taller for easier viewing and to increase space in the cabinet area. I was going to make it bigger than the footprint of the tank. Mostly for more cabinet space but also for a larger footprint for added stability. I already have doors; this is in a home office and the doors are actually extra (matching) cabinet doors. I've seen some nice cabinet builds on AA.

You could always build a huge stand and put two tanks ln it ;) that would give more cabinet space lol

You loose DW in your house the same way I loose my keys from one day to another...other people move it!

Couldn't you use GE Window and Door silicone for the DW too?

Seachem recently did come out with an aquarium plant glue it worked really well for me and getting moss on a rock

I also thought that you could use just about any super glue as long as it dries.

Also thanks for the plants. You gave me way more than what I was expecting.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Seachem recently did come out with an aquarium plant glue it worked really well for me and getting moss on a rock

This bears investigating; to the interwebs! I must find this magical contraption!!!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

You could always build a huge stand and put two tanks ln it ;) that would give more cabinet space lol

In that case I will need extra wood for the doghouse that I will be staying in. Seriously, if I build a stand that can accommodate a 40b but I put a 20g long on it, will it look weird? I only ask because my current stands are only slightly bigger than the tank's footprint.

You loose DW in your house the same way I loose my keys from one day to another...other people move it!

Couldn't you use GE Window and Door silicone for the DW too?

I'm pretty sure it's in the pond. Too cold and too dark to go out there now. I checked the DW in the garden. I could not find the features I was looking for (I have no problem taking a saw to these). These pieces are probably suited for a 75 to 90 gallon tanks.
As long as the silicone has no inhibitors it should be okay.

I will keep that in mind.

I also thought that you could use just about any super glue as long as it dries.

Also thanks for the plants. You gave me way more than what I was expecting.

I was thinking the same thing.

Then you can be very picky about what goes in the tank. Pitch the rest.

This bears investigating; to the interwebs! I must find this magical contraption!!!
? Diana Lee ?

Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom