Freshly transplanted Crypt Wendtii...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid

Aquarium Advice Addict
...has begun to melt. I figured as much, but do these plants completely die, or can I expect some new growth from the base of this plant eventually?

If you leave it be, maybe put a root tab under it, it should bounce back. Crypts can be sensitive to moving or to a change in conditions.

Maybe I should be more specific. It was from my LFS, they are close to my home so I expect their water to be close to mine as far as parameters, but it was in a pot. The guy would not give me the pot, but it was (is) a nice little plant, about three inches high w/ eight leaves, one really melting right now. So, I suspect that if they do not like change, then ripping it out of it's pot and jamming it into my sand substrate will not be the best thing for this little plant.

Let me add that I am waiting for my compact fluorescent fixture to arrive in the mail, so right now there is like a regular incandescent bulb over the tank just for my fish. I know they are considered Low Light plants, but this can't be helping matters, can it?

Give it some time. They are low light plants. As long as the roots were nice and healthy it should come back. The new light should certainly help as well.

Crypts melt if you look at them wrong! :( Just moving mine around in the same tank will cause melt. However, they will quickly bounce back ... just don't disturb the roots in the meantime.

I recently got 2 wendtiis that I believe were in emersed form, also in pots. I took them out of the pots and planted them, they proceeded to lose all but a couple leaves (6 or 8 lost). However they have sprung back surprisingly quickly, producing gorgeous long rippled submersed leaves. I didn't have root tabs, and I have low light.

I have had all of mine melt when I got them and lost every leaf but rebound nicely.

I have also abused these plants to extreme to get rid of some algae and I didn't like the way old leaves looked. I have cut every leaf off, waited for 2 weeks with nothing and the plant explodes with growth. Just leave it alone and put a root tab under it and in time it will be just fine.

Should I bury the roots all the way? I was going to tie them to a rock so their roots are somewhat above the sand.

What brand root tabs does everybody use?

I bury their roots completely, and they haven't complained. I use the Seachem root tabs. I haven't seen too much difference in my crypts since I use rich potting soil for subtrate for them, but a sword in a gravel bottom tank has doubled in size since I gave it the root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom