Freshwater Plant Fertilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What brand of fertilizer has given you the best results?

• Kent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seachem

• Tropica

• Tetra

• Other

• Total voters

Nystina

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, this is a question that many have asked but i have yet to see a clear (IMO) answer. My question is.. Im looking for the best way to go about fertilizing my plants. I have read that many believe that the PMDD method is the best, but i feel it is way too complicated for me and i have only 1 tank so its not a matter of large scale fertilization.

I have been looking into users opinions on fertilizers that have given them the best results. I know much of this depends on the specific water chemistry of your tank/supply is, however what is the best way in determining what is right for each individual (specifically what brand/items)?

Chances are, if you are a serious hobbyist, you already have the basic test kits (nitrate/trite, ammonia, pH, KH/GH, phosphate)

I have heard that other tests such as iron and potassium are not very reliable so how does one "dose" these? What other nutrients should the planted tank enthusiast be aware of? and how does one know if the tank has adequate amounts?

Like many of you i am just trying to get the best results i can and you all have way more experience than i do and your knowledge/experience is an incredible asset.

Thank You,
Nystina

Seachem's products are, in all fairness, the only ones I've ever used, but I've had great results with them. I'd go with them or Kent, as these are two good, reputable brands, and offer a wide range of various nutrients and nutrient mixtures.

I like Tropica Mastergrow, but it depends on what your tank needs. I have to dose nitrate and potassium pretty regularly.

I use the PMDD method. It's really quite simple and extremely cost effective.

Basically I measure only nitrates and try and keep the tank around 10ppm. I keep my CO2 level around 25ppm using a table that calculates that based on KH and pH.

I dose plantex (which I mix myself) roughly every other day. That I believe supplies all the trace elements needed.

I used SeaChem stuff for a while, but it's not cost-effective on a 75gallon high light tank.
So I still use SeaChem iron, but for everything else it's raw KNO3, K2SO4 and KPO4. Plantex CSM+B for trace.

So how do you know when to add such nutrients as iron (Fe), potassium nitrate(KNO3), Potassium sulfate (K2SO4), and all the elements in Plantex CSM+B? How do you know you're not overdosing?

Also, many fertilizers have multiple elements, such as Flourish, Tropica Mastergrow, and Pro Plant. Are these the best way to go for novices?? or is maybe adding just the parameter specific elements that are needed?

I saw a nice little package from seachem, the fundamental pack
http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/PlantPackFund.html and the enhancer pack http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/PlantPackEnhancer.html

any feelings about these??
Thanks again everyone!
Nystina

Flourish Comprehensive is a broad fertilizer. it works well in low/medium light tanks..but on a high light tank, it basically becomes a trace fert.

Well, I tend to recommend 10-15ppm nitrate and no more than 1ppm phosphate for budding plant keepers. These are the only 2 ferts you can really test levels on. Potassium overdoses won't cause algae, so I suggest dosing an amount that should you 10ppm for your tank, and call it good until the next water change.

Iron can cause thread algae if overdone...and iron test kits just aren't reliable since we want such low, trace levels. So just dose SeaChem flourish per the label, every 2-3 days.
Plantex CSM+B is a bit of an experiment. Mix 1tablespoon to 500mL of water, and dose 1mL per 10gallons of tank capacity every other day. If you get green spot algae on the glass, cut back. If you don't get spot algae, up your dosage a little. Basically, find the threshhold, and then back off a little.

SeaChem makes good ferts...but I'll go through a $7 bottle of their potassium in 3 weeks with my 75 gallon tank. A pound of K2SO4 only requires about 1.5 teaspoons a week...so far its lasted 6 months, and it was only $1 a pound.
Plus I think the seachem stuff is a little on the weak side...their products are geared more towards medium light tanks. High light, CO2 injected tanks like mine are more of a niche in the aquarium community, and the mainstream is where the money is for the company.

Another vote for PMDD. Far cheaper and more precise control over nutrients.

I test Phos and Nitra after every WC (2-3 days) and adjust accordingly. Micros and Macros are calculated and added every WC.

Personally, I really like PMDD. It's one of the best, as well as, cheapest things I have done to improve my planted tanks conditions.

Mojo...are you sure you're doing PMDD? PMDD is where you mix your nitrate, phosphate, iron and trace into 1 stock solution, and dose it daily.
The reason I don't do PMDD is because it doesn't give you as great a control over individual ferts...you're stuck dosing at whatever concentration you initially mixed at.

It sounds more like you've got the raw ferts, and dose them separately as needed (which is what I do). That's not PMDD...but you're right about it being cheap compared to commercial ferts like Kent and SeaChem.

:oops: That's exactly what I'm doing as well malkore. I don't know if you even remember but you suggested one of your sources when I was having trouble finding any KNO3 at all.

I have the address on my home computer so I can't give it now. I received enough dry KNO3, K2SO4, and Plantex to dose my 125 gallon for about a year. The cost was $11.00 which included the shipping. It does give me control over the ferts and it's hard to beat that price. FWIW

BrianNY could you post that address please I am interested in PMDD...Is it worth it on my med-light 20 gal. long? It's not HEAVILY planted, but my dwarf sag seems to be struggling.
THanks in advance!

Ahhh Malkore,

You bring up a good point. Perhaps I was poor in explaning. As mentioned, PMDD is a stock solution mixed and dossed daily. Perhaps some clarification is needed, as not to confuss people.

I dry dose all ferts accordingly after every WC (every 2-3 days). The only exception is Nitra. My tank seems to chew through Nitra like crazy. I have a calculated mixture of KNO3 for Nitra that I dose daily to help keep the Nitra from dropping to low. This is to keep Nitra from bottuming out and algae blooms.

Phos and Nitra readings are tested religiously after every WC and adjusted accordingly. Mag, Pott, and Plantex CSM+B are pre-calced and added every WC. Keep in mind if your having to dose KNO3 (Pott Nitra) for Nitra. You'll want to keep this in mind if your dosing K2SO4 (Pott Sulf) as well. Both contain Pott and need to be calced together, if dosed together.

The one thing that I would really like to stress to anyone reading this and seems intemidated. Dry ferts are really more simple and accurate. Not to mention, considerably cheaper than pre mixed liquid ferts. What one spends in a couple of months on commercial ferts would last well over a year on dry ferts. Do some research and learn the basics of water chemistry. It will pay off in the long run.

Here's a great link for getting dry ferts. The Watson's are truely passionate about planted aquariums. www.gregwatson.com

Also check out Chuck Gadds web site. Theres a great deal of info on his site. You can also download a calculator for dry ferts on this site.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/index.htm

Also, check out. www.rexgriggs.com. Rex is an avide contributor here on AA. If I'm not mistaken. Rex also has a calc on his website.

All of these people have a great deal of knowledge, which they have been kind enough to share. Certainly worth looking into. HTH

the other site besides gregwatson.com is www.plantgeek.net the owner Off-ice (a.k.a. Curt Dunaway) sometimes has extra dry ferts for sale. Last time i compared to Mr. Watson's price, Curt was a smidge cheaper, but I know he's able to pickup stuff locally.
I know neither individual is trying to make money on the ferts...just there to help out other plant geeks.

Back
Top Bottom