Friend using vermi compost for soil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kishore

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a friend who uses vermi compost as a substitute for aquarium soil. He thinks that vermi compost is more nutritious and so much cheaper than aquarium soil.

Can it really be used to grow aquarium plants?

I quickly looked this up and would think it would have more nutrients. When we had a hobby farm, a guy down the road used to sell worm castings.

How it will go in the aquarium I'm not sure on.

Is it at least safe to try?

Sure you can try it but I wouldn't be adding fish at all untill you get 0 ammonia readings. If capped with sand or gravel you shouldn't have too many issues.

The ammonia it will give off will jump start your cycle aswell.

Also make sure you plant heavy or add floating plants to soak up as much as you can

Ive used it. Harder to cycle takes longer but works fine. Also have used rabbit manure.

Sure you can try it but I wouldn't be adding fish at all untill you get 0 ammonia readings. If capped with sand or gravel you shouldn't have too many issues.

The ammonia it will give off will jump start your cycle aswell.

Also make sure you plant heavy or add floating plants to soak up as much as you can
So, I'll use it in my tank. It will get cycled and then I'll add fish. Mine will be a 60 gallon aquarium. I'm thinking of having some young angelfish and zebra danios and if possible some neon tetras.

What numbers should I go for?
Will I be able to have a pleco with this stocking?
Sand or gravel cap? Which will be best suited for my stocking? And what do prefer?

Pleco should be fine in a 60. You can have a good school of each with a tank that size. Keep only 1 pleco tho as they get massive. Danios you could go 5-6 and 5-8 neons. Keep the Angels to a group of 2 male and female if possible. They tend to be pretty territorial if in bigger groups.

Personal preference with gravel or sand. Sand is easier to plant into.

Go 1 inch soil 1 inch sand or gravel

Danios you could go 5-6 and 5-8 neons. Keep the Angels to a group of 2 male and female if possible. They tend to be pretty territorial if in bigger groups.
Will angels be peaceful with neon tetras? Although I am going to get young angels, I'm worried whether they will nip the tetras. And I thought the angels should be in a group of 1 male and 2 females. But you are saying 2 males and a female? Wouldn't that stress her?

Will angels be peaceful with neon tetras? Although I am going to get young angels, I'm worried whether they will nip the tetras. And I thought the angels should be in a group of 1 male and 2 females. But you are saying 2 males and a female? Wouldn't that stress her?

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I've got 1 male and 1 female and they live with 5 tetras and 5 cheery barbs just fine. My angels are fine with just the 2. I wouldn't add more than 2 because as you said it might end up stressing the female.

Back
Top Bottom