Frogbit dying very quickly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullmoonnight

Aquarium Advice Activist
So a few days ago my mom went and got me some Frogbit from a guy and I've already had to throw away almost half of it because it turned into mush. I'm keeping it in my planted bowls and placed those beside the window but everyday I have to come by and take out dead bits. I only used about half of it and threw the rest into a 1/2 betta bowl temporarily and put it beside another window and the next day I came over and there were maybe only 3 frog bit that was not mush. Help?

I find that my frogbit only does well when in my tanks that have at least moderate lighting, co2, and regular column dosing of ferts. It multiplies so fast in those conditions I end up removing a lot so it doesn't block all the light for the plants below. I then put the extras in my low tech (low light) cube only for me to watch it slowly deteriorate and die before I remove it. So in other words, you probably need more light and ferts (co2 I'm unsure about because it might be able to obtain it from there atmosphere since it floats). Try dosing the water with flourish comprehensive.

Oh okay then. I have some shrimp, frogs and a snail in there will they be okay if I dose ferts?

My frogbit has always done fine in lower light tanks, though it does grow larger/faster in higher light+co2. I find my biggest problem is with flow, too high of flow makes them die fast, but in a bowl, I don't know how that'd be a problem.

Could it be that it was already bad when you bought it? Frogbit should be bright green and crisp when you get it rather than flimsy or fragile feeling... Or maybe it's too hot by the window?

It could also definitely be that you have too little light, but my frogbit does well in natural light, but I guess it's in almost direct sun almost all day...

I have had bad luck dosing ferts with frogs. Killed the frogs once a long time ago and so I never tired it again.

The frogbit looked okay when I bought it but the other plants that came with it were a mess. I'm going to try a little experiment now. I put some in two bowls by the window, one has ferts and the other has shrimp and no ferts. Then I have one in my betta tank with very light flow and lights on for a few hours and ferts. Then one is my frog bowl with no ferts and the last is a bucket outside. So far the ones by the window are looking greener than the rest (I haven't checked the bucket yet though). I think it must have been a light issue then, the bowl with ferts looks no different from the shrimp one.

I avoided putting ferts into my frog bowl ;) I also have 8 tanks(+3 bowls) hehe.

Back
Top Bottom