Fungus Growing on Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper26

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently I noticed a large Amount of fungus growing in my 20 gallon long planted aquarium. Is there any way to get rid of it? Thanks all help is greatly appreciated!

Recently I noticed a large Amount of fungus growing in my 20 gallon long planted aquarium. Is there any way to get rid of it? Thanks all help is greatly appreciated!

What does it look like? Do you use a gravel vacuum when doing PWC? Do you feed your fish a lot? It could be an algae that looks like fungus too (BGA).

I think its definitely fungus, its white and fuzzy- the same thing that grew on my corydora eggs. I used a gravel vacuum, and change some of the gravel. If it's from the eggs how do I prevent this from happening again?

I think its definitely fungus, its white and fuzzy- the same thing that grew on my corydora eggs. I used a gravel vacuum, and change some of the gravel. If it's from the eggs how do I prevent this from happening again?

I googled white fuzzy fungus and many references are what I first considered, excess food and poo in the tank. Sound like it's not that uncommon and extra cleaning and even scrubbing of infected areas (gravel) should take care of it after a while.

As far as the eggs go, could it be some protective coating that just didn't go away when the eggs hatched? I'd suggest researching your fish and breeding to see what info is out there.

Please post what you find out :)

the fungus is quite common in aquariums, it occurs when there is a build up of organic matter, food, fish poo etc. you need a more stringent housekeeping routine, lots of vacuuming of substrate to clear the waste in there. keep your tank clean and the fungus will disappear. let us know how you get on. Good Luck!!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom