Gardening soil mix as substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I had a casual conversation inside PetCo with an older lady that was buying about 1/2 dozen Brazilian Swords. Since I am from Brazil, we started talking about biodiversity etc, and the lady seems to be quite knowledgeable about planted tanks.

However, she mentioned that for the past 7 years or so, she has been using gardening soil mix enriched with Osmocote plus (and something equivalent she was using back in the days, butt I was not familiar with its commercial name) under a 2 inch topping of river sand and her plants were just amazing. She even mentioned her gold fish do well under these circumstances.

Is this safe for fish? I would love to have some real soil for the plants, but I am quite new to the hobby and it just sounded...a little fishy.

Organic, non-fertilized soil is safe for fish. The dirt should be capped with another substrate like sand to keep it from flying around in the tank. It will tank about 3 weeks to cycle a dirted tank.

It can be messy if you move plants around. And IMO, by the time you buy the sand and dirt, you could have come close to just buying a bag of aquasoil or Eco... Not a fan, but that's just me. If you're doing a large tank I suppose it would be more economical.

I love my dirted tanks. I use Organic Potting Soil sold at Lowes called Just Natural. I cap mine with Eco-Complete. The only time dirt can be really messy is if you want to move a big sword or crypt that has a big root system. Not too long ago I removed a pretty big crypt from the 220g and if you gently lift the plant upwards, wiggling it gently as your pulling up you don't get alot of dirt mess. Now if you just yanked it out, yeah you'd have a mess. The only thing I really love about my dirted tanks are the fact my plants thrive in them. Plus any normal community fish would do well in them. You just wouldn't want to put any fish that is known for digging or liking to bury itself in the substrate. Plus I cap my dirt with about 1-1/2" of substrate which thoroughly covers the dirt in a thick enough layer that keeps the dirt where it belongs. I am constantly planting and moving stem plants which never disturbs the dirt since the cap is thick enough.

You can't really go wrong with your formulas, Rivercats. I will try to replicate this layered substrate you are using. :)

So today I had a casual conversation inside PetCo with an older lady that was buying about 1/2 dozen Brazilian Swords. Since I am from Brazil, we started talking about biodiversity etc, and the lady seems to be quite knowledgeable about planted tanks.

However, she mentioned that for the past 7 years or so, she has been using gardening soil mix enriched with Osmocote plus (and something equivalent she was using back in the days, butt I was not familiar with its commercial name) under a 2 inch topping of river sand and her plants were just amazing. She even mentioned her gold fish do well under these circumstances.

Is this safe for fish? I would love to have some real soil for the plants, but I am quite new to the hobby and it just sounded...a little fishy.

I actually use Osmocote as my root tabs, which I call my root cubes since they are essentially Ice cubes with Osmocote pellets inside them, my plants love them! When it comes time to add a little more sand to top off a bit, I've been thinking of doing the potting soil capped with sand. I would think using the soul with Osmocote would be a great thing, I would just to be scared that I might over do it. If I ever do the potting soil capped with sand I would probably just stick to using my root cubes as normal.

Yes that is what I use, in both my potted pond plants and in my tanks. BUT this brand leaches alot of tannins so be prepared in the beginning to do alot of WC's and to use Purgen also to help. For a little tank you will also have to pick out all the larger pieces or break them up good. I didn't care since I use this in the couple larger tanks I have dirted. In a small tank I don't know if Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil would work better since it has smaller, finer particles especially if the larger stuff is sifted out. Just want to throw out all the different info so you can make the best choice.

I never understood why they sell it as lawn soil when on the package it clearly is listed as Organic Potting soil!

Back
Top Bottom