German Blue Rams in a 10 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nils

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I have a 10 gallon tank, planted, and the current inhabitants are 5 very happy cory catfish. I have had the tank running for 10 months now. I am very proud of it, just going to throw that out there :). But lately, there hasn't been much action, and nothing against my beautiful cores, I want a little bit more color. So I went to UpScale Aquatics today, and saw some beautiful long finned rams. I have researched these before, and now I really want them. But I know that they are hard to keep alive, and that the water parameters have to be perfect. My question is, can I keep them alive in a 10 gallon tank, and I don't do many gravel vacuums, and not many water changes, but could a single male/female be able to live in the tank? Thanks guys,

Nils

BTW, that picture is of the current tank, I forgot to fill up water :facepalm::(

I would not recommend adding any other fish, especially not a german blue ram. Stocking 5 cories, of any species, is just right. If you want to get a german blue ram, I would upgrade to a 20g tank or larger. They also love tanks that are planted. Water changes are a must if you want to keep fish that are harder to keep.

Your tank maintenance routine would not be likely to support a GBR.

Hello all,

I have a 10 gallon tank, planted, and the current inhabitants are 5 very happy cory catfish. I have had the tank running for 10 months now. I am very proud of it, just going to throw that out there :). But lately, there hasn't been much action, and nothing against my beautiful cores, I want a little bit more color. So I went to UpScale Aquatics today, and saw some beautiful long finned rams. I have researched these before, and now I really want them. But I know that they are hard to keep alive, and that the water parameters have to be perfect. My question is, can I keep them alive in a 10 gallon tank, and I don't do many gravel vacuums, and not many water changes, but could a single male/female be able to live in the tank? Thanks guys,

Nils

BTW, that picture is of the current tank, I forgot to fill up water :facepalm::(

No pic of the setup...

Sent from my AT10-A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies guys,

Those are the answers I was fearing :-(. I know that I should keep up with water changes, and I do them every once in a while. I use the gravel vacuum whenever I need to move the aquarium, and that's also when I change the water. Is there anything I could do to be able to keep GBR in my tank?

Thanks,

Nils

Truthfully not worth losing such a nice fish over...I have to females that keep in a 20g planted&I wouldn't attempt a smaller tank to house them in...that's being said even with 2 10g heavily planted tanks that have been running for over 2yrs without an issue...I do 50% water changes on all of my tanks every week religiously...check out my new 20g long planted tank build thread..some pics of the 20gL& the 2 10g tanks.

Thanks guys,

I don't think that I will try the GBR, it would break my heart to see such a beautiful fish wasting away in my tank. I might still add some Scarlet Badis, they are a cichlid species and I have a nano tank with them and tons of RCS. Thanks for the help you guys.

Hello, it's Nils again,

I found a dwarf cichlid called the Bolivian Ram. Can anyone fill me in on those? I have heard they are easier to keep, and that they don't need to impeccable water parameters. I am willing to do more water changes, if necessary.

Thanks,

Nils

They are similar to GBR, but bigger. I wouldn't do them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I found a dwarf cichlid called the Bolivian Ram. Can anyone fill me in on those? I have heard they are easier to keep, and that they don't need to impeccable water parameters.
They are too big for a 10g tank unfortunately.

Oh, ok :-(

I guess I will have to give up on the dwarf cichlids. But thanks anyway, you saved a fishes life from dying in my aquarium :). Does anyone know any small, hardy cichlids that wouldn't tear my cores to pieces? Thanks,

Nils

There really isn't anything.

Not in a 10.. what about (drumroll....) peacock gidgeons?! Yayyyyyy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They aren't really steelers themed- what about some nice purple guppies for a rival? (ravens fan here, Baltimore born and raised!)

They aren't really steelers themed- what about some nice purple guppies for a rival? (ravens fan here, Baltimore born and raised!)

What does that have to do with anything??

Thanks guys, too bad there aren't any small cichlids.
What about gold cichlids, I haven't really looked into those but they seem cool and small.
Would they work?

Nils

Aren't the peacocks brackish? And I read that they would nip, but I just want a very vibrant fish that won't kill my cores, or even chase them. Does anyone know a fish that would fit all this perfectly?

Nils

Cobra endlers

I know that people think I am a beginner, but I want something unique, something not like a small guppy or small like that, but a full bodied, beautiful fish that will be the centerpiece of the tank. Something like a ram. Does anyone have any experience with the Gold ram?

Nils

Back
Top Bottom