Getting new plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Technically I only have 1.5wpg, but I seem to have some success at growing plants out of that light range. For instance, Echinodorus schlueteri 'Leopard' should need medium light, and Lysimachia nummularia should need high - but both are doing very well.

So, in light of this (haha no pun intended :p), I would like to try a couple of plants which have similar requirements as the ones listed above. Namely, Micranthemum umbrosum and Rotala Rotundifolia. I have found both on ebay from an Australian seller so can purchase them (exciting - I never find interesting plants around here!)

Before I did anything silly, though, I wanted to ask your opinion on the whole thing. Think I should give it a shot, or should I just get some hygro and be done with it? I really want some colour in my tank - even if it's just a pinkish tip to the plant.

Not sure on Micranthemum umbrosum, but Rotala Rotundifolia will be no problems at all. I have it growing quite well in a 10G tank with 2 20W screwins, which is not 40W total due to restrike. I would consider it about what your lighting is, 1.5w/g or so. Possibly a tad higher. And I have no CO2 in that tank either. It will do good for you.

Another plant to look for that will work good for you, Ludwigia repens.
http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_Ludwigia_repens.php

Back
Top Bottom