giant duckweed...good idea??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I went ahead and ordered some giant duckweed today, I was gonna get the regular tiny kind but I hear it can get caught in the filter among other problems. I already have an annubias Nana too attached to a piece of Malaysian driftwood. Its my girlfriends 10 gallon barebottom tank with an albino African clawed frog, nerite snails, and a couple ghost shrimp.(if they haven't been eaten yet!) I recently purchased the annubias to aid me in this green water battle. I use ro water and have tried cutting back on lights and algae killer chems. I've been told my lights are surprisingly powerful and may br the cause. I'm down to 8 hours a day and don't wanna cut back anymore. I have 2 10w compact fluorescent bulbs under the Hood. So I'm gonna try this duckweed. I went ahead and got the giant it looks easy to manage. It should absorb any excess nutrients and nitrates hopefully and probably block some light out. I read the annubias Nana is a low light plant and hopefully it can still live with this duckweed. Any experience or advise with the giant duckweed? Was it a good idea or?

Which "Giant Duckweed"? Salvinia? If so- it grows SUPER fast and covers the water surface in the matter of a couple of days.

If you have high Nitrates, it does a good job of using excess Nitrates. I just scoop out about 5-7 FULL handfuls out of my 55g every 3 days, 2-3 out of the 29g (or I did until recently)

I need nitrate suckers as well. But the anubias won't help you much. They are slow growers and don't eat up much.

Its called giant duckweed or Spirodela Polyrhiza. Same as duckweed but bigger. It can grow in bunches of up to 3 petals. I don't think it's the same thing as what you ate talking about. Looks fairly similar though. I figured I'd be scooping some out every now and again, no big deal. Might even sell some dunno. It costs alot more than regular duckweed though.

Greater Duckweed . Very similar to Salvinia, just slightly less invasive. Yes, once it gets going, you will need to scoop some out regularly.

Depending on your tank inhabitants, small fish/young as well as smaller shrimp love the hanging roots.

Back
Top Bottom