Giant Duckweed in Planted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vladka

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 29 gal Planted Tank, everything grows very well, too well... except S.Repens I haven't been able to get going *sigh*

Anyone, with one of my plant orders came giant Duckweed. I have it in and it's growing very well, I scoop some out every now and then and put it into my 65 angel tank.

Anyways I'm concerned about if it's actually a good idea or not? Like will it harm my other plants? Or steal all the ferts?

I had Duckweed a long time ago and it helped me lower my nitrates and was t too annoying, and the giant doesn't affect my filter and looks pretty good so I'm more for it, my old Duckweed somehow all got eaten lol.

Any advice is appreciated!IMG_5442.jpg

(Shot from some in the 5 gal, the really big one is fake)

IMG_2072.jpg
(The 29 gal)

Floaters will help take up excess nitrates, so in that way they are nice.

Feeding them to the angels is a plus.

They block light to the other stems /plants so it may be an issue for that reason and it is easy to get too much of a good thing with their growth.

You can do something to corral the plants to a far corner and plant the light needing stems closer to the flow area where the plants are not floating.

Oh yeah that's a good idea, I did notice some of my stem plants leaning towards the light.

But do you think they take nutrients away from the other plants?

Okay great, I mostly use Seachem Flourish.
So it doesn't soak up the nutrients for that? Just nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom