GLA 6g Rimless 36-L - My First Iwagumi Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanx for the link Fort. And LMK Max when yours is built, like to know more on how they look and operate. Seems like a good option when i go on vacation and no one is around to dose the tanks.

Mine are actually built right now :) I am trying to figure out how much of each fert to mix in the reservoirs right now.

You probably do NOT want vallisneria nana in a tank that size. It's both tall and extremely proliferative.

As far as finding rotten leaves, that's a super likely source of algae. For one thing, rotting stuff releases ammonia, which is well known to cause algae, including a decent number of hair algae.

Thanks for the advice Aqua! I think I'm just going to stick with the Rotala in the back then and ditch the whole grassy look in the back.

BTW everybody... went a little Black Friday happy and acquired a new Bow Front 26g, stand, Fluval 306, an awesome piece of Manzanita, and 50% off plants at my LFS!!! I felt like a kid in a candy store.... New project underway soon :)

8215017231_325a269c15_b.jpg

8215018325_a4cc3c5d8e_h.jpg

Brian_Nano12g said:
Thanks for the advice Aqua! I think I'm just going to stick with the Rotala in the back then and ditch the whole grassy look in the back.

BTW everybody... went a little Black Friday happy and acquired a new Bow Front 26g, stand, Fluval 306, an awesome piece of Manzanita, and 50% off plants at my LFS!!! I felt like a kid in a candy store.... New project underway soon :)

Sweet! What was the price on the 26g? I got a 306 as well :)

Thanks... Haha

Um.. Got the tank only on sale, no door buster or anything... It was $120 as a kit which I'm only going to use the heater and sell the rest on Ebay. The stand was $160, but got it for $100. The Fluval 306 was the score because i got it new for $80 shipped (Amazon Lighting Deal). Manzanita was $35, got it for $20. I got too many plants to list but I'm really happy to get my paws on Anubias Petite (aka: micro), 2 pots for $8. Just ordered a 24" Finnex Ray 2 and another Aquatek CO2 system... Since I've been impressed on how they performed with my 6g. :)

I'll be starting a separate thread soon on the 26g. Thinking of going Dutch Aquascaping on this one (with my own twist of course).

A Dutch aquascape should be fun! I'd love to do that too one day.

Oh, and I'd love to know what plants you have.

Indulge us. :cool:

From his teaser pic I can make out alternanthera reineckii, cabomba palaeformis, cyperus helfiri, rotala rotundifolia, cabomba caroliniana, persicaria kawagoeanum and rotala "Vietnam" and anubias sp. petite. Lots of sweet plants! :)

Thanks Max.. You saved me from typing :)

Plus i have all my other species of flora in my 12g to utilize in this upcoming scape.. Just need to pick and choose, and be strategic on this one...

-Rotala Colorata
-Pogestemon Erectus
-Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
-Ludwigia sp. 'Red'
-Staurogyne Repens
-Valisneria Spiralis
-Dwarf Hair Grass (E. Parvula)
-Hygrophila Angustifolia
(Willowleaf)
-Hydrocotyle Tripartita
(sp. Japan

I love the look of your 6g tank it's everything I've ever wanted hahah. The new tank is going to look great.

GOODLUCK!

Congratulations on your new acquisitions!

I look forward to learn from your progress on that one.

[PS: Your inbox is full btw]

UPDATE... 12/15/12

My tank is a total mess right now... I managed to clear out and control most of the Hair Algae only to make way for a new more resilient algae! This stuff is much harder to remove than the hair algae was...I think the algae that I have is Spirogyra Algae.

Here are some pics... please let me know if I'm correct and if you guys have dealt with it effectively. I need some advice and to formulate a plan of attack!!! It's going to be my next battle!

Pics:
8276782930_9512abcc92_b.jpg

8276782998_7663d7d18c_b.jpg

On another note... my Flame Moss is growing out of control. I'm going to have to trim it down and remove some. It's practically shading a lot of my plants below and as a result, I have some bare spots. My Ludwigia sp. Red's leaves all fell off the bottom part of the stems. It's just not looking as nice as it was. I'd like to start selling some Flame Moss... what's the best way to remove the stuff and sell them? I'm thinking of getting some mesh and cutting them in to 2x2 squares.. Have them grown on there a bit and sell them off that way... Anyone have experience with that?

FTS...
8275721289_e0d4ac3476_b.jpg

I also removed the Pogostemon Erectus in the back right. I'm planning on the getting the lily pipes soon so I won't be needing its services in concealing the equipment... Now my tank is looking pretty bad IMO :nono:

On the bright side... I managed to FINALLY score a crown (with a side shoot forming) of Pogostemon Helferi (Downoi)... Hopefully this plant does well for me and fills in that area :)

8276783112_2fa6e19337_b.jpg

Please let me know about the algae problem and how to sell moss (or the best way to section pieces off).... Thanks for reading :)

1: I think you can probably just sell the Flame Moss as a ball. I've seen in stores it come in a small water filled cup. You could ask Severum Mama how she sells hers.

2: I'd love to get some of that Flame Moss. Can't find it around my part of the US.

3: Ludwigia losing leaves at the bottom is usually a sign of not enough light. I usually have that happen in my tall tanks like the 29g. I know you're fixture looks great, I hope that maybe there is a different reason for that.

4: I have some of that Algae in my 5.5g...I'll be following along on how to remove it. I just let my RCS munch on it.

Back
Top Bottom