Gla PPS question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just started dosing, I dose the recommend amount plus metricide.. I've tried all different approaches, no matter what I do the plantex creates a precipitate?? What's up with this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, it's like the plantex hits the water and within a split second forms white flakes, not a million but enough.

How are you dosing it? The plantex micro mix never fully dissolves. There's always solids on the bottom. You might be getting those solids in the dosing chamber and it just goes along for the ride with the solution as you dose. It's not like its mixing in with something in your tank and turning solid.

How are you dosing it? The plantex micro mix never fully dissolves. There's always solids on the bottom. You might be getting those solids in the dosing chamber and it just goes along for the ride with the solution as you dose. It's not like its mixing in with something in your tank and turning solid.

It's almost what it looks like.. it hits the water than appears.. ill put the 4k to work in the morning when I dose.

So it goes in as 100% liquid, and as soon as it hits the water, you see what looks like snow flakes?

Mine did that at first, I made a new batch and didnt have a problem after that. Not to hijack your thread but do you guys modify the dosing concentrations in the different bottles? I had done it for my 10 gallon and I havent had any issues... I also stopped dosing the MgSO4 since I had a high KH if you are using RO water should you use it??

Exactly!

I think what you're seeing is surface film / scum in your tank breaking up as you dose. Maybe get a surface skimmer. I've been using an Eheim Skim 350. I used to run it 24/7 but the sponge inside is small and would clog up fast. I now have it on a timer to come on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. My surface is now crystal and I don't have to clear out a clogged sponge as much.

Plus, you wouldn't have any scummy surface blocking light. I think it helps overall in the o2/co2 exchange / respiration of your tank as well.

How much metricide did you put with the plantex?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine did that at first, I made a new batch and didnt have a problem after that. Not to hijack your thread but do you guys modify the dosing concentrations in the different bottles? I had done it for my 10 gallon and I havent had any issues... I also stopped dosing the MgSO4 since I had a high KH if you are using RO water should you use it??

I only modified the PO4 in the macro to double of that in the original recipe. I did that to combat the propensity to get GSA (green spot algae) when PO4 is so lean. I use my liquid rock tap for my tanks, so yeah I skip MgSO4. My RO nano shrimp tank, I barely dose ferts because it's low tech but I do remineralize the RO/DI with a product from Brightwell called Remineraliz-P.
http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/remineralizp.php

Last edited:
Can't watch the video

That one won't work either

I can see the video, second one. I think when you're squeezing the bottle to get the solution in the dosing chamber, some undissolved solids get in there too. Mine also does that. However, since my tank is much smaller, I use a graduated pippette to dose, so I don't get those particles unless I push the pippette all the way down to the bottom of the dosing chamber and it gets sucked up. I've dosed with those particles before. I don't think it'll harm anything. Maybe it'll just be fertilizer in the substrate.

I can see the video, second one. I think when you're squeezing the bottle to get the solution in the dosing chamber, some undissolved solids get in there too. Mine also does that. However, since my tank is much smaller, I use a graduated pippette to dose, so I don't get those particles unless I push the pippette all the way down to the bottom of the dosing chamber and it gets sucked up. I've dosed with those particles before. I don't think it'll harm anything. Maybe it'll just be fertilizer in the substrate.

Oh good, it doesn't bother me all that much either, just wanted to make sure it wasn't harmful or counterproductuve. My fish eat it but I doubt that's a big deal..

Back
Top Bottom